Calcium reactor effluent return precision dosing?

SecondCityCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am curious how to handle this scenario. I have a diaphragm pump pushing water from my tank into my co2 effluent in port. This causes enough pressure to push the water back into the tank. Unrestricted, the flow rate is far too much. So I have been using the included valve to try and "tune" it.

However my problem is that it isn't sensative or accurate enough. It feels like if I bump the dial on the flow restrictor, it will change the amount that comes out.

So I know people are using things like hospital (peristaltic) dose pumps. But my question is given the pressure of water in the return line. How does the peristaltic pump handle that? Aren't peristaltic pumps "pull" rather than "push"? How do you guys handle this?

I am using the Avast diaphragm pump to drive the effluent if that helps. I tried a maxijet 1200, and it just wasn't enough to drive the head pressure. My reactor is about 40 feet away due to space constraints and WAF.

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know several reefers that use perastaltic pumps in both configurations. Both push and pull

OP
OP
SecondCityCorals

SecondCityCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the pump is OK to use if the return pressure is greater than the dosing rate? For instance, lets say the effluent is coming out of the reactor at 100 mL/min, and I want to dose 30 mL/min, it can handle that?

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the pump is OK to use if the return pressure is greater than the dosing rate? For instance, lets say the effluent is coming out of the reactor at 100 mL/min, and I want to dose 30 mL/min, it can handle that?

I'm a bit confused at your question, since we are talking about volume and pressure interchangeably. Perhaps a diagram of what you're talking about?

A peristaltic pump will deliver a constant volume up to a rated pressure (usually fairly high). The pump is pushing along fluid in a tube by squeezing both ends, and isn't pressure dependent up to the point pressure will exceed the clamping force and motor drive. A peristaltic pump can also pull, but like all vacuum sources can only attain a difference of 1atm (14.7psi)

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You don’t need your diaphragm pump once you have a peristaltic pump. The peristaltic pump either pushes or pulls the effluent out of the carx at a prescribed rate. The only other pump is the circulating pump within your carx.

OP
OP
SecondCityCorals

SecondCityCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don’t need your diaphragm pump once you have a peristaltic pump. The peristaltic pump either pushes or pulls the effluent out of the carx at a prescribed rate. The only other pump is the circulating pump within your carx.

So the peristaltic pump is powerful enough to drive 40 feet up 1 floor and 50 feet back 1 floor? I don't think it is.....

I mentioned in my first post, its about 40 feet away. The line goes up into the ceiling, over to the calc reactor, comes down out of the ceiling. And has to go back.

Put a 1/4" needle valve on the effluent drip so you can adjust it easily. I run my pump off the return, it's easier this way.

$27, but useful. Here is one at BRS <--- LINK

I saw this, I was a little hesitant due to the reviews. It works good for you?

Again, my reactor is 40 feet away. Not right next to the tank.

Last edited:

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the peristaltic pump is powerful enough to drive 40 feet up 1 floor and 50 feet back 1 floor? I don't think it is.....

I mentioned in my first post, its about 40 feet away. The line goes up into the ceiling, over to the calc reactor, comes down out of the ceiling. And has to go back.

I saw this, I was a little hesitant due to the reviews. It works good for you?

Again, my reactor is 40 feet away. Not right next to the tank.

Is the head pressure more than 40PSI (tubing limit)?

OP
OP
SecondCityCorals

SecondCityCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the head pressure more than 40PSI (tubing limit)?

Not sure. How do I measure? I just need it to go up 10 feet. Over to the calcium reactor. Down 10 feet. Through the calcium reactor. Back up 10 feet. Over to the tank. Down 10 feet. Then into my sump.

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure. How do I measure? I just need it to go up 10 feet. Over to the calcium reactor. Down 10 feet. Through the calcium reactor. Back up 10 feet. Over to the tank. Down 10 feet. Then into my sump.

Won’t be a problem. All of these are sealed so any vertical climb is canceled out.

OP
OP
SecondCityCorals

SecondCityCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Won’t be a problem. All of these are sealed so any vertical climb is canceled out.

Sorry I know I keep asking the same thing but I want to be very clear. So going up 10 feet. Over 30 feet. Down 10 feet, and all the way back. Totaling for something like 80 feet round trip. The peristaltic pump can do it? Once properly calibrated obviously.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you get an industrial lab grade peristaltic pump like a Masterflex or a Watson Marlow, yes it would be able to handle the head pressure. I’m not sure the hobby grade Kamoer FX-STP will be able to handle that kind of pressure though, it’s 1/8” ID tubing, pump head and rollers are tiny in comparison to the industrial grade pumps.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which port are you sending it into? You should be be using the input port, not the co2 port nor the effluent port. The effluent port is usually post-pump and can have back pressure.

You should just be able to put a needle valve, ball valve or flow control pinch on the effluent line to dial in whatever flow that you want. 40 drips a minute is a good place to start.

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which port are you sending it into? You should be be using the input port, not the co2 port nor the effluent port. The effluent port is usually post-pump and can have back pressure.

You should just be able to put a needle valve, ball valve or flow control pinch on the effluent line to dial in whatever flow that you want. 40 drips a minute is a good place to start.

If you’re using a peristaltic pump, there is no need to constrict the output. That’s the whole point - steady, adjustable flow.

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you get an industrial lab grade peristaltic pump like a Masterflex or a Watson Marlow, yes it would be able to handle the head pressure. I’m not sure the hobby grade Kamoer FX-STP will be able to handle that kind of pressure though, it’s 1/8” ID tubing, pump head and rollers are tiny in comparison to the industrial grade pumps.

Agree. Especially not the super cheap dosing pumps with friction fit rollers. I’d only use a large masterflex pump with a steel roller head here.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is not using a peri pump. The diaphragm pump will ned a way to restrict the output.

There is no doubt that a really good Peri pump can be awesome. However, they are hardly required for consistent operation. I used to use a Kangaroo (Masterflex before Masterflex was the "it" pump) and it was cool, but I need new tubing and just a maxijet or other small pump now and it works just as good.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back