OP
OP
SFREEF3R

SFREEF3R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate the input on calcium reactor equipment - I'll need to do a little more research and scope out the space needs (not a lot of room under a Reefer 170).

@dandicarlo - Similarly, I don't think Kalk alone will cut it for me, but I could see using Kalk + 2part/3part to minimize my dosing need and slow the salinity rise.

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I didn't see my question answered - but from reading more on this I think it will suffer from the same issue as 2 part or 3 part dosing - salinity will increase over time and you will need to remove water/replenish from ATO to keep in check. Doing so will reduce Alk/CA/mg and they will need to be replenished.

I think you can do a one time correction at the time of the WC or do as
@gbroadbridge does and just increase your dosing rate to compensate.
The use of a CaRx will not alter your salinity.

OP
OP
SFREEF3R

SFREEF3R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The use of a CaRx will not alter your salinity.
Right! And that was the reason I kicked off this thread for recommendations for a Calcium reactor setup for my small tank.

It seems like CaRx is perhaps the best way to deliver a large amount of alk/ca without getting your salinity out of wack.

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Right! And that was the reason I kicked off this thread for recommendations for a Calcium reactor setup for my small tank.

It seems like CaRx is perhaps the best way to deliver a large amount of alk/ca without getting your salinity out of wack.
It truly depends. Running top off through a kalk reactor would get the job done, too. It depends on your consumption. I run both Kalk and CaRx reactors in tandem.

OP
OP
SFREEF3R

SFREEF3R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It truly depends. Running top off through a kalk reactor would get the job done, too. It depends on your consumption. I run both Kalk and CaRx reactors in tandem.
Out of curiosity, why Kalk + CaRx vs. CaRX alone?

Is the purpose of the Kalk to help combat the pH drop? Or is it a media cost thing?

I would consider Kalk + 2-part to minimize my dosing needs as an alternative to clicking over to CaRx (seems a bit simpler/cheaper incrementally since I'm already doing 2-part).

Although do you find your Alkalinity varies a bit with the weather (ie evaporation rate) topping off with Kalk?

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Out of curiosity, why Kalk + CaRx vs. CaRX alone?

Is the purpose of the Kalk to help combat the pH drop? Or is it a media cost thing?

I would consider Kalk + 2-part to minimize my dosing needs as an alternative to clicking over to CaRx (seems a bit simpler/cheaper incrementally since I'm already doing 2-part).

Although do you find your Alkalinity varies a bit with the weather (ie evaporation rate) topping off with Kalk?
The Kalk is more to preserve consistent alk and ph. The CaRx makes up the difference and allows me to fine tune my calcium level. I'm not terribly concerned with ph drop from the CaRx, as I run the effluent through a secondary chamber filled with dolomite to raise the ph and add mag.

Dosing two part on large demanding systems is inefficient and cost prohibitive. For smaller systems, too if you calculate cost of reactors and media vs. the cost of two part over the life of the system. Larger upfront cost vs. larger long-term expense.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SFREEF3R

SFREEF3R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man I wanna see some
Pics of this little monster tank
Wasn't 100% sure this was directed to me but here you go!:

Screenshot 2024-01-16 at 9.58.29 PM.png

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently switched from dosing to a carx as my consumption in my 1600L system was getting out of hand. I’ve had previous experiences with calcium reactors ages ago and I always thought they sucked due to being to fiddly.
I went with an automatic variant and gosh, the experience has been nothing but pleasant.

One of my main concerns on a small system such as yours would be the potential for it to lower ph. This could however easily be remedied by only running my the reactor during the day and switching to kalkwasser during lights out.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back