Calcium reactor feed with fix-stp

gguertin145

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dumb question but how high have people gone for speed on there systems for a feed pump on there calcium reactor with the fxstp? I see start with 60 many places but I’m at 60ml and a 6.5 ph and not keeping up so I’m not sure do I up the speed or lower the ph?

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upping the speed will raise the pH as you pump more water through the reactor. If you need more Alk production you need to increase the CO2 input. Since you are running 6.5 pH already you will also need to increase the effluent flow or you will drop below 6.5 when you increase CO2

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So raise output first then c02?

will the kamoer handle higher speeds ok?
Specs on the pump say it will go up to 120ml/min. I use a masterflex pump so haven't used the Kamoer personally. I would keep extra tubing for the pump head and maybe just change it a little more often.

As for tweaking the reactor, I would probably raise the flow until you are in the 6.8-6.9 pH range and then CO2 while monitoring your alk stability. Theoretically raising the flow without changing the CO2 will still give you the same alk dosing. Your pH will go up slightly so your DKH in the effluent will be a little lower but your volume is higher so it balances out.

What media are you using in the reactor? I use Reborn which dissolves pretty well so 6.5pH is as low as I want to go. I have heard the ARM may be ok to go lower and in some cases may be necessary to get it to dissolve well.

Before you go messing with reactor settings, have you tested the DKH on the effluent? You want to shoot for 25DKH roughly.

OP
OP
G

gguertin145

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
using arm couldn’t find reborn when I built it. I’ve had it running for about 6 months stable but added corals causing me to need more. Thanks for the info that’s exactly what I was looking for.

OP
OP
G

gguertin145

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upping the flow and bubble count worked. I’ll tweak it I’m sure but I’m now 70ml on kamoer and 1 bubble every 4 seconds on carbon doser. I wasn’t understanding how the two numbers needed to both be adjusted it makes sense now.

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super! You are probably good at current 70ml/min for a while. Amount of Alk production is directly tied to CO2 input only. When you need more Alk you need more CO2, then just tweak the flow to keep pH in a decent range around 6.5. I have a low demand right now so I run 30ml/min and 7sec/bubble. I have the low side pressure gauge on the Carbon Doser around 6psi, which gives me about 6.8 pH. So I have some room to increase the bubble count yet without adjusting anything else.

At some point wouldn't hurt to test the dkh on your effluent. Especially with the ARM media which has reports of needing between 6 and 6.5 to dissolve better. If you take a sample from the reactor output and dilute 50% with RODI you should be in a range of 12-13 dkh which most test kits can measure. If it's under that you can go lower on the pH by dialing back the flow.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back