Calcium Reactor for 150gal system

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I just got my stimulus check and figured I would do my part in blowing money and I am considering replacing my Kalk Stirrer with a CArX. All my sps are tiny frags at the moment, but I plan to go pretty heavy with SPS once these frags get big. I have an Apex with an extra pH probe and PM1 so the controller is good to go I think. What else do I need for a 150gal total system? I want the best for my money, but dead nuts accurate. I am happy with my Bubble Magus skimmer and I see their CArXs are moderately priced vs the Reef Octopus'. I watched a BRS video and it said a peristaltic pump is the latest breakthrough. I dont know when the video was made but the pump they spoke so highly about is now discontinued. Do I need this pump for dead nuts accuracy and ease of tuning? So I think this is what I need. Please recommend brands to suit my needs and let me know what else I may need:

Controller- Apex with PM1 and second pH probe (got it)
CO2 tank and solenoid-
Affluent Pump-
Reactor w/pump for 150gal-
Media-
Anything else????-
perialstatic pump to pump water from sump to the reactor

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't use a manifold because as soon as you touch one of the other many outlets, the pressure changes on ALL of them and you just messed up your effluent rate. The only way that I a manifold would work is if you kept it wide open, you did not every change a thing on it (then why have it, right?) nor never had pressure change on any of the other things that you have running off of the manifold (like a reactor get clogged).

Ultra Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You don't use a manifold because as soon as you touch one of the other many outlets, the pressure changes on ALL of them and you just messed up your effluent rate. The only way that I a manifold would work is if you kept it wide open, you did not every change a thing on it (then why have it, right?) nor never had pressure change on any of the other things that you have running off of the manifold (like a reactor get clogged).

Makes sense but what if using a peristaltic to pull effluent out of the reactor? Would the change in pressure still be a concern? I am currently using a sicce pump to feed the reactor but pulling effluent out with a Kamoer. I was planning on getting rid of the feed pump and using my manifold but your comments give me pause...

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that's reassuring that the availability of good media is not an issue. A quick read shows the available stuff doesnt contain trace elements and people have resorted to dosing them. If I gotta dose trace I may as well dose ca and all.

I do plan to tune this in by hand. I am a software engineer and like to code and already run an apex so I will it least run a fail safe with it for the carx but I am glad to know it's not a necessity. I thought it was because all the all in one kits include one.

Natural media will have traces. Natural aragonite is the best, but appears unavailable right now (Reborn or old ARM). Calcite (new ARM Media) and Dolomite will have traces too, just not as many as the aragonite did. Dolomite has higher magnesium than the others, but I have never found that I needed to use it to keep my magnesium up. If you change some water ever so often, then you are all set - if not, then a supplement might be OK. I don't use any supplements, but I do change water for the most part.

Man-made media, like most of the stuff out of Germany is just carbonate and calcium, so this stuff is what needs supplementing. This stuff really required a low PH to melt. I would not use this unless I had no other choice... it is just not worth it if even Calcite or Dolomite is available.

The kits sell the probes because they can make more money and most people do not know better. This is one area where I think that BRS lets all of their customers down since most of their videos talk about using a probe and controller as the only way and many of them come on here and have to learn how to tune later on when they are ready to throw their reactor into the street. If you want to use a pH probe and some sort of computer to alert you if something is out of range, then cool... but the suppliers should make this clear and frame it this way and that using a probe is not a necessity and is often the weakest link in the chain. I made my own controller out of a mac mini, wrote it in Ruby and j2ee and I abandoned it a long time ago, including the CaRx monitoring... all that I have now is a heater controller like a Ranco or Medusa.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are using a peri to pull water through the reactor, then why do you need a pump at all, manifold or otherwise? I do not really know the answer to your question since I have never done it this way - I used to use a Kangaroo to push through the reactor, but it needed tubing and I never went and got any. :( That was a good number of years ago.

BTW - for those who can solder a bit, Kangaroo 324 is continuous duty medical grade pump that was what everybody used back in the day, and some still do. They do need a quick solder, though. It is right up there with the high-dollar MasterFlex and very likely better than all hobby models of peri pumps... but it takes work even though they are pretty cheap.

Ultra Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you are using a peri to pull water through the reactor, then why do you need a pump at all, manifold or otherwise? I do not really know the answer to your question since I have never done it this way - I used to use a Kangaroo to push through the reactor, but it needed tubing and I never went and got any. :( That was a good number of years ago.

BTW - for those who can solder a bit, Kangaroo 324 is continuous duty medical grade pump that was what everybody used back in the day, and some still do. They do need a quick solder, though. It is right up there with the high-dollar MasterFlex and very likely better than all hobby models of peri pumps... but it takes work even though they are pretty cheap.

The idea is to use the feed pump to pressurize the reactor which helps with keeping the co2 bubbles from accumulating inside the reactor, and using the peristaltic to control the effluent rate, also preventing the effluent line from clogging.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think that any/most of that happens. You do get a slight pressure inside of the reactor with a feed pump, but Dr. Holmes-Farley has opined that this likely does not dissolve aragonite any better at such a low rate - dissolving rate was the main thought behind pressure many decades ago.

I have not had a clogged reactor since larger media started to come out. All of mine are reverse flow and the outlets are near the top, so it is hard for particles to get up there - they do not clog easily by design.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Natural media will have traces. Natural aragonite is the best, but appears unavailable right now (Reborn or old ARM). Calcite (new ARM Media) and Dolomite will have traces too, just not as many as the aragonite did. Dolomite has higher magnesium than the others, but I have never found that I needed to use it to keep my magnesium up. If you change some water ever so often, then you are all set - if not, then a supplement might be OK. I don't use any supplements, but I do change water for the most part.

Man-made media, like most of the stuff out of Germany is just carbonate and calcium, so this stuff is what needs supplementing. This stuff really required a low PH to melt. I would not use this unless I had no other choice... it is just not worth it if even Calcite or Dolomite is available.

The kits sell the probes because they can make more money and most people do not know better. This is one area where I think that BRS lets all of their customers down since most of their videos talk about using a probe and controller as the only way and many of them come on here and have to learn how to tune later on when they are ready to throw their reactor into the street. If you want to use a pH probe and some sort of computer to alert you if something is out of range, then cool... but the suppliers should make this clear and frame it this way and that using a probe is not a necessity and is often the weakest link in the chain. I made my own controller out of a mac mini, wrote it in Ruby and j2ee and I abandoned it a long time ago, including the CaRx monitoring... all that I have now is a heater controller like a Ranco or Medusa.
I useTunze media and it dissolves at 6.8 easily. Works well for me and several others imo.
I dose trace elements too.

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are running a GEO with the circulating pump return from the top of the lid and pulling with a peristaltic pump then some of them will get gas build up in the loop. If you push with the peristaltic pump the same thing happens. If you run a very small feed pump and pull with the peristaltic pump it eliminates the gas build up and the reactor runs more efficiently. It’s why GEO has redesigned all of their reactors with a uniseal at the top of the side of the reactor for the circulation pump and the effluent comes out of the top of the lid now. It solved that issue some of the reactors were having. (I know because I own one of the older ones that works that way). The new GEOs don’t suffer that problem though.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The idea is to use the feed pump to pressurize the reactor which helps with keeping the co2 bubbles from accumulating inside the reactor, and using the peristaltic to control the effluent rate, also preventing the effluent line from clogging.

I cannot say whether a bit of pressure in the reactor helps to better dissolve CO2 .... though physics/chemistry would suggest yes. I run about 3 psi in my reactor, but achieve this with a gravity feed rather than running an additional pump. Recently helped a friend setup his tank and we plumbed the CaRx feed line from the external box on his overflow drain. Peri pump acts as the siphon check in the event power is lost (though the external box doesn’t hold all that much water anyhow).

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you all are getting gas build up, then your tune needs adjusted, or you have a leak. I get no built up gas and my Korallin reactors are designed to trap excess co2 in the top. You can likely get rid of all of this with a good tune.

Ultra Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you are running a GEO with the circulating pump return from the top of the lid and pulling with a peristaltic pump then some of them will get gas build up in the loop. If you push with the peristaltic pump the same thing happens. If you run a very small feed pump and pull with the peristaltic pump it eliminates the gas build up and the reactor runs more efficiently. It’s why GEO has redesigned all of their reactors with a uniseal at the top of the side of the reactor for the circulation pump and the effluent comes out of the top of the lid now. It solved that issue some of the reactors were having. (I know because I own one of the older ones that works that way). The new GEOs don’t suffer that problem though.

Exactly why mine is setup as such. I run one of the older Geo’s as well.

OP
OP
Mikeltee

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I ended up going with the Aquamaxx T-1, but its leaking so I will probably send it back and get the Geo 612. I got some reborn and a GLA dual stage arriving Wednesday.

Today I hooked up the CaRx without the regulator to check for leaks and learn the operation. When the recirc pump is on it pushes out into the CO2 bubble counter. I know to use a check valve near the regulator but I dont understand the physics of how it doesnt enter the bubble counter one the gas is on. Can someone explain this to me? I also dont understand how the pressure does not constantly push water out both the intake and effluent out port. Can someone also explain this to me? I'm scratching my head over here.....

What psi do I initially setup at before fine tuning with the needle valve?

jblasi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up going with the Aquamaxx T-1, but its leaking so I will probably send it back and get the Geo 612. I got some reborn and a GLA dual stage arriving Wednesday.

Today I hooked up the CaRx without the regulator to check for leaks and learn the operation. When the recirc pump is on it pushes out into the CO2 bubble counter. I know to use a check valve near the regulator but I dont understand the physics of how it doesnt enter the bubble counter one the gas is on. Can someone explain this to me? I also dont understand how the pressure does not constantly push water out both the intake and effluent out port. Can someone also explain this to me? I'm scratching my head over here.....

I can not speak for other brands of reactors, but on the GEO, the water does fill the bubble. You want to make sure you have your CO2 line and check valve hooked up or water will come out of the fitting for the bubble counter. As for your pressure question. You shouldn’t have enough of a pressure build up to push water out the intake and effluent fittings. Your only talking upwards of 15 psi on the high end. As far as starting PSI i hope someone is able to shed more light on this for you. I was never able to get a straight answer when I was starting out. My regulator is set at 5psi with 1 bubble a second. But I also do not have a super high demand quite yet.

I am curious where you were able to obtain some reborn?? I am in need of more and it’s been impossible to find.

I hope I was able to help you at least a little on your questions.

OP
OP
Mikeltee

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I can not speak for other brands of reactors, but on the GEO, the water does fill the bubble. You want to make sure you have your CO2 line and check valve hooked up or water will come out of the fitting for the bubble counter. As for your pressure question. You shouldn’t have enough of a pressure build up to push water out the intake and effluent fittings. Your only talking upwards of 15 psi on the high end. As far as starting PSI i hope someone is able to shed more light on this for you. I was never able to get a straight answer when I was starting out. My regulator is set at 5psi with 1 bubble a second. But I also do not have a super high demand quite yet.

I am curious where you were able to obtain some reborn?? I am in need of more and it’s been impossible to find.

I hope I was able to help you at least a little on your questions.
Are you placing your check valve between the bubble counter and reactor? I did a WTB on here and someone was kind enough to help a brother out. I appreciate your reply. Water was not able to push out the in and out but indeed it did through the co2 port. I was hoping for an explanation as to why this is able to happen.

Mal11224

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have the aquamax T1. you have to check your seals like any other reactor and make sure they are in place. Do not over tighten any of the unions. The bubble counter fills with water as pressure from the CO2 stars to flow. If you notice, the bubble counter does not fill up even when the recirculation pump is on until you activate the CO2. As the CO2 begins to flow past the check valve, it allows the tank water circulating to partially fill up the bubble counter. A suggestion would be to place the check valve in the middle of the tube between the regulator and the bubble counter, should get a decent amount of water in the bubble counter but not too much. The CO2 tank should always be connected when the reactor is running even if the CO2 is not flowing.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bubble counter is filled with di water. You dont want tank water.
I run 20psi on my system. My regulator is high pressure and any lower does not give me a consistant bubble count. Each regulator is different imo.

Mal11224

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bubble counter is filled with di water. You dont want tank water.
I run 20psi on my system. My regulator is high pressure and any lower does not give me a consistant bubble count. Each regulator is different imo.
This is true but tank water gets in there anyway.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 51 25.0%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 51 25.0%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 49 24.0%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 49 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back