Geo Calcium Reactor

haitian_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still trying to muster up the courage to setup my calcium reactor. Watched many YouTube videos and yet the task seems a bit daunting. Plan on taking baby steps until I’m ready to take the plung. I’ve put the reactor today and installed my pm1 module. Was anyone else in the same boat? How did you overcome this fear?

IMG_7277.jpeg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been trying to remove some rust in a kitchen sink and I just come on here when I get overwhelmed.

You have to tell yourself that you will be happy with the reactor once you get it running. Ready, get set, Go set it up and get it running! Your corals will thank you.

afterwards, come over and help me with the sink, please. :cool:

OP
OP
haitian_reefer

haitian_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been trying to remove some rust in a kitchen sink and I just come on here when I get overwhelmed.

You have to tell yourself that you will be happy with the reactor once you get it running. Ready, get set, Go set it up and get it running! Your corals will thank you.

afterwards, come over and help me with the sink, please. :cool:
After I help you, you can help me with cable management

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still trying to muster up the courage to setup my calcium reactor. Watched many YouTube videos and yet the task seems a bit daunting. Plan on taking baby steps until I’m ready to take the plung. I’ve put the reactor today and installed my pm1 module. Was anyone else in the same boat? How did you overcome this fear?

IMG_7277.jpeg
I have a GEO CaRx as well - love it! Yes, very daunting at first but honestly it’s easier than you think. This worked for me:
1. Effluent rate: I run at 50mls (pick one and stick with it — don’t change it)
2. CO2: looks like you have a CarbonDoser, just turn the dial on how much CO2 to dose. Start with 7-8 bubbles per sec and adjust up/down depending on your alk, which brings you to the last step
3. Alk: I have a Trident so testing is automated. If not, test Alk every day/two. I slowly adjust CO2 up/down based on alk value. More CO2 will dissolve the media faster, increase in Alk/Ca.

Again, just adjust CO2 up/down — that’s it. Be patient — it will likely take you a week/two to dial it in.

Good luck and once you get the hang of it, it’s super cool. You only have to replace the media once/year; at least on my packed 150g SPS tank.

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems like so much fun to run one of these.

If I wasn't so committed to keeping my PH high in a high CO2 house I think I would have jumped in already.

If I could run one 3ft away from my tank it might be my next upgrade.

But also I have a pretty sweet setup with balling method +traces and its only 90g total volume water, might be a silly change to make in my situation.

@bakbay is right on the money though. It sounds like the best method, instead of trying to bakance the equation with even more variables.

HighlandReef

Chalice Monger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have run a calcium reactor for years, you really just need to go for it.
Once setup, you’ll be happy you did.
That said, I don’t necessarily agree with some of the comments made in this thread.
In general, you want to target a CaRx chamber ph of about 6.6. This is one setting, I would not adjust up/down too much.
I target a chamber ph of 6.6, this will give you a little buffer when your ph probe floats out of range. These ph probes are not 100% accurate and the ph readings will float on you, no question about it, it just happens.
Recalibrating the ph probe on a regular schedule is pretty much a must.
Basically, adjust the co2 bubble count to give you a chamber ph of ~6.6.
Double check the instructions on the media you plan to use, they typically have a suggested target ph melting range.
Some brands can recommend slight different ranges.
If you go too low with the chamber ph, your media can get mushy and start clumping together, you want to try and avoid that.
A ph controller makes this entire process much easier, I run mine off my apex.
I have co2 bubble set to about 1 bubble per 2 seconds but this will vary depending on your system.
I would start at a co2 bubble count at 1 bubble per ~3 seconds and adjust chamber ph from there. Don’t rush this process.

Keep in mind , CaRX chamber ph and co2 generally relate to bubble count.
The water exiting the CaRX chamber relates to drip rate.

I’d start your chamber output (drip rate) at about 1 drip per second, adjust from there.
Your chamber output (drips per second) is how I would recommend adjusting alkalinity.
Make sure to have a good needle valve on your chamber output, it will make your life a lot easier on adjusting the CaRX chamber output. I wouldn’t skimp on this, the cheap plastic ones are not very accurate and can be difficult to fine tune.

Almost forgot to mention, check your alk daily.

I would also recommend watching some setup videos, I’m sure bulk reef supply has one.
Since you’re new at this, I tried to keep this as simple as I could. Hope this helps!

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have run a calcium reactor for years, you really just need to go for it.
Once setup, you’ll be happy you did.
That said, I don’t necessarily agree with some of the comments made in this thread.
In general, you want to target a CaRx chamber ph of about 6.6. This is one setting, I would not adjust up/down too much.
I target a chamber ph of 6.6, this will give you a little buffer when your ph probe floats out of range. These ph probes are not 100% accurate and the ph readings will float on you, no question about it, it just happens.
Recalibrating the ph probe on a regular schedule is pretty much a must.
Basically, adjust the co2 bubble count to give you a chamber ph of ~6.6.
Double check the instructions on the media you plan to use, they typically have a suggested target ph melting range.
Some brands can recommend slight different ranges.
If you go too low with the chamber ph, your media can get mushy and start clumping together, you want to try and avoid that.
A ph controller makes this entire process much easier, I run mine off my apex.
I have co2 bubble set to about 1 bubble per 2 seconds but this will vary depending on your system.
I would start at a co2 bubble count at 1 bubble per ~3 seconds and adjust chamber ph from there. Don’t rush this process.

Keep in mind , CaRX chamber ph and co2 generally relate to bubble count.
The water exiting the CaRX chamber relates to drip rate.

I’d start your chamber output (drip rate) at about 1 drip per second, adjust from there.
Your chamber output (drips per second) is how I would recommend adjusting alkalinity.
Make sure to have a good needle valve on your chamber output, it will make your life a lot easier on adjusting the CaRX chamber output. I wouldn’t skimp on this, the cheap plastic ones are not very accurate and can be difficult to fine tune.

Almost forgot to mention, check your alk daily.

I would also recommend watching some setup videos, I’m sure bulk reef supply has one.
Since you’re new at this, I tried to keep this as simple as I could. Hope this helps!
I have a pH probe but I don’t trust that hence didn’t put that as an option. Mine is around 6.5 - Versa pump at 50mls keeps that steady.

IMG_7559.png

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does your apex program look like?
This is what I use for the CO2 outlet:
Fallback ON
Set ON
If Alkx9 > 9.50 Then OFF
If pH-CA < 6.40 Then OFF
If pH < 7.75 Then OFF

Again, used as a safety precaution only. You’ll want to set it so things will run continuously without hitting these limits.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back