Feeding pump for calcium reactor

melanarus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setting up a calcium reactor for the first time. While the reactor (Geo CR618) has a sicce recirculating pump, I’m thinking about how to pump the sump water into the reactor. I have a spare head on a Jebao doser I could use. Is this a workable option or do I need an additional pump like the Sicce but for pushing sump water to the reactor?

OP
OP
M

melanarus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can feeding the calcium reactor via a manifold work fine? I never use a feed mode on that return pump, so flow should be constant.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can feeding the calcium reactor via a manifold work fine? I never use a feed mode on that return pump, so flow should be constant.
I’m no pro by any means but I would do a bit of research on this as there’s a lot of good info out there. My experience with feeding from the manifold is that inevitably the pinch valve, needle valve or whatever you use to dial in the flow will become somewhat of a maintenance issue as it will clog and affect the flow. A tunable peristaltic pump has been much, much, much more stable and a lot less of a headache in my experience. There can also be some risk if using the reactor externally when fed off a return manifold. There’s a few factors to consider. Internal, external, do you like to fiddle with and maintain things constantly (some people do and if so could save you some bones)? Again, there’s a ton of good info out there. For me and my personal needs, an internal reactor with a carbon doser and a peristaltic pump pushing through the reactor is pure bliss. I find that pushing is less maintenance as the pump tubing stays clean and the pump seems to not work as hard. There’s some good write ups on here on tuning reactors as well…. Best of luck and enjoy your new toy

OP
OP
M

melanarus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for that! I hadn’t really considered some of the manifold risks, but probably enough for me to stay away from it. The other alternative to a peristaltic pump would be a dc return pump like the mightyjet where you can tune the flow.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back