Calcium Reactor Issue

Snowsrfr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having an issue with my calcium reactor when it's controlled by my APEX. Originally I had the programming and pH probe in the reactor, configured wrong, so that's why I'm just now noticing the issue.

I have my APEX programmed to turn on the Ca regulator solenoid when pH in the reactor is greater than 6.55. It's also set to turn solenoid off less than 6.49. My reactor has a Maxijet 1200 circulating the water in the reactor and a Maxijet 400 feeding water from the sump into the reactor. These both stay running when the solenoid is off. I'd need a second EB8 to connect those pumps too if I wanted/needed them to turn off (I really don't know how that part should work).

Now on to my problem. As of right now I have my solenoid set to one bubble per second when the solenoid is on. The problem is, when the solenoid is turned off by my APEX, and then back on by the APEX as per the programming, I'm getting no CO2 flow through the bubble counter. I have to manualy tweak the shut off valve to get the CO2 flowing again. The only time it works as advertised is when I accidentally left the shut off valve on the CO2 regulator wide open and it shot a ton of CO2 into the reactor, but it dropped the CO2 within a few seconds and the solenoid quickly shut off again. Is this normal? Should I have the CO2 turned up that high when running the solenoid off the APEX like that?

Any assistance or further info I can provide would be greatly appreciated. I'm at my wits in and ready to drop kick the whole tank out the door.

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How long have you been running it this way?

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a Milwaukee regulator and found when it is run at 10 psi like they recommended I have the same problem. When I raised the secondary pressure to 15 psi the problem went away and it gave me better control of the bubble count and needled valve.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine on a Pinpoint monitor. set slightly above your PH setting. the unit has a circ pump and a feed pump that never shut off. the controller opens the solenoid when it hits 6.67 and closes at 5.57 ( i think). when you are using a controller, you dont ahve to count bubbles. mine just bubbles at a decent pace while the valve is open. its maybe open for a few seconds and then closes again.

Back