Calcium Reactor Not Replenishing Trace Elements?

HM3105

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Perhaps I misunderstood but I thought a calcium reactor would replenish all elements. I just received my ICP back from Fauna Marin and it shows all those are undetectable. The reactor is keeping my alk around 9 dKh measured with Salifert. The system is not high demand at the moment and is entirely SPS.

Any thoughts other than the ICP isn't able to measure low enough?

Secondly, if my understanding is not correct, is there a broad trace element replacement additive I could dose?

Thank you for the help.
SPS ICP 7.60.20 (1).jpg

dank reefer

IG: dankreefer_IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of media are you using in your reactor? Have you checked to see if your media claims to have trace elements?

OP
OP
HM3105

HM3105

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of media are you using in your reactor? Have you checked to see if your media claims to have trace elements?

TLF Reborn, I thought all calcium reactor media did since they're using some form of coral skeleton.

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basically, a calcium reactor replaces alkalinity and calcium in a balanced ratio. If you add the proper media, it can also replace magnesium. Beyond that, the amount of trace elements it replaces is limited, varies depending on the media being used, and is not sufficient to satisfy even low demand for all trace elements without help. Water changes and/or supplements provide that help. I run a calcium reactor with Reborn and Zeomag media. FWIW, I do 10% weekly water changes and don't worry about the very minor trace elements.

anth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also depends on your trace element parameters before you switched to cal reactor. Or if your doing water changes with salt that has low trace elements

OP
OP
HM3105

HM3105

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basically, a calcium reactor replaces alkalinity and calcium in a balanced ratio. If you add the proper media, it can also replace magnesium. Beyond that, the amount of trace elements it replaces is limited, varies depending on the media being used, and is not sufficient to satisfy even low demand for all trace elements without help. Water changes and/or supplements provide that help. I run a calcium reactor with Reborn and Zeomag media. FWIW, I do 10% weekly water changes and don't worry about the very minor trace elements.
Also depends on your trace element parameters before you switched to cal reactor. Or if your doing water changes with salt that has low trace elements

Ah ok, I guess I'll look for something to help add those!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 37 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back