Calcium reactor secondary chamber

P.kapp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been looking for a used calcium reactor for a build I’m working on. The tank will be approximately 400 gal and SPS dominant. It seems like all the reactors I find are rated for smaller tank sizes. I have found a geos reef cr612 for sale, and I’m wondering if I add on a secondary chamber if that will bump the production to what I will be needing?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have been looking for a used calcium reactor for a build I’m working on. The tank will be approximately 400 gal and SPS dominant. It seems like all the reactors I find are rated for smaller tank sizes. I have found a geos reef cr612 for sale, and I’m wondering if I add on a secondary chamber if that will bump the production to what I will be needing?
It may or may not depending on your effluent and bubble count output

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you mean running a secondary/scrub chamber in the traditional way then, no, it won’t make much difference. If you added a second chamber within the circulation pump circuit then, yes, it would make a substantial difference.

Have you checked out lifereef? I’d be surprised if Jeff doesn’t make a big one.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

P.kapp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may or may not depending on your effluent and bubble count output
Do you think I would use more Co2 trying to compensate for the two smaller reactors linked together? If the long term hassle and expense of refilling the bottle isn’t worth the money saved on a smaller unit, I would probably rather cry once and buy a bigger reactor... if I can find one ‍♂️

OP
OP
P

P.kapp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you mean running a secondary/scrub chamber in the traditional way then, no, it won’t make much difference. If you added a second chamber within the circulation pump circuit then, yes, it would make a substantial difference.

Have you checked out lifereef? I’d be surprised if Jeff doesn’t make a big one.
That’s kind of what I wasn’t certain of... If a 2nd chamber would simply act as a scrubber only, or if it can be linked and produce what would be needed as the tank matures.
I haven’t looked at lifereef much, but I will now! Thanks for the tip!

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a lifereef. He assured me the regular size one would do me. Came with the small c02 tank. He also said i didnt need the ph probe but he sold me the probe holder i think it was too.
Im sure just like his skimmers u can add to it and make it taller to hold more media. Although i dont know enough about cal reactors and if that would really make it any better. Dont u just increase the drip or influent rate?
D

rossco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a geo 618 on my 75 gallon and before I upgraded to my 210 the 618 was unable to keep up with the acros in the 75. I actually had to dose along with it. I am running a 818 with a second chamber now, with a Kalk reactor, on my 210. Second chamber and Kalk are mainly there for pH.
I would recommend buy once cry once with the 818 if your goal is a large colony Acro dominated display.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Do you think I would use more Co2 trying to compensate for the two smaller reactors linked together? If the long term hassle and expense of refilling the bottle isn’t worth the money saved on a smaller unit, I would probably rather cry once and buy a bigger reactor... if I can find one ‍♂️
Not much impact on CO2

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I am under the understanding that the secondary chamber or reactor is just a mix area or an area for any residue to settle. Like kalk...
???
D
I have dual and utilize 2nd chamber for ca and mag

JMetaxas

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My MTC Calcium Reactor has a 2nd chamber, but BRS did a video and I was surprised to see that 2nd chambers don't do nearly as much as I thought they would.

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a secondary chamber and as the other said, it doesn’t do much. It burns through media at maybe 5% the rate of the main. If you were to somehow make a recirculating circuit for it though, it would be more effective. Been pondering that for a few years now but the exponential increase in the likelihood of leaks has stopped me. I make up for the shortfall with a cheap o Jebao doser. Adds redundancy and has been working great for about 4 years now. I planned on it being a throw away unit but it keeps on going!

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s kind of what I wasn’t certain of... If a 2nd chamber would simply act as a scrubber only, or if it can be linked and produce what would be needed as the tank matures.
Like I said, depends on how you connect it. In most/all secondary chambers, only the effluent stream is passed through the second chamber, so it's not exposed to the circulated low pH water. In the time it takes for me to melt through 50 pounds of media in my main rubble chamber, the smaller secondary drops by about an inch. Not a major contributor.

IMG_1987.jpg

OP
OP
P

P.kapp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate everyones insight! I’m curious what this chamber is and does? It looks like it is connected to your Cal Reactor, right?
14B08FFE-7E16-449F-9542-51C27A4A9B53.jpeg

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most use the second chamber to help reduce excess co2 comming from the main chamber.
This helps keep the tanks ph in range.
If your carx is tuned correctly the second chambers level will not change very much.
A properly tuned carx will not need a second chamber.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate everyones insight! I’m curious what this chamber is and does? It looks like it is connected to your Cal Reactor, right?
14B08FFE-7E16-449F-9542-51C27A4A9B53.jpeg
It’s in the main circulation loop, filled with bio balls to assist in full dissolution of the CO2. Entirely unnecessary, but I was building it myself, had the spare chamber so what the heck.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back