Calcium reactor Vs protein skimmer

Payne Train

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which one is more important - my tank is 4 months old, I have an 80 gal tank - probably 60 galllns of water after sand and rock, I have a handful of fish, softies and several LPS. I am trying an SPS frag (early I know) and as I am doing this I was wondering which piece of equipment I should look into first .

thanks everyone !

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Skimmer although I run both plus a zeovit reactor

Triple.T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree skimmer first! You don't have to have either to run a reef, granted if you can keep up with nutrient export with water changes. Not to mention your water clarity with vs without a skimmer. You will be amazed at some of the skimmate that gets pulled off great looking tanks.

From my reading and understanding I've always considered a calcium reactor simply an accessory rather than must have. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
Payne Train

Payne Train

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome - thanks guys. I use Red Sea coral pro salt and do water changes every 10-14 days. Every time I have tested CA, Mg, and KN they have been good - a couple of times calcium was a smidge high.
I also currently run Chemi pure elite and some Seachem Purigan.

Boonz28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Skimmer first sure, calcium reactors come into play when your system is packed with high uptake corrals to the point that it makes two part dosing (liquid calcium & alkalinity) uneconomical or impractical. It doesn’t sound like you are anywhere near that point yet. Are you doing any dosing to your tank currently?

OP
OP
Payne Train

Payne Train

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmer first sure, calcium reactors come into play when your system is packed with high uptake corrals to the point that it makes two part dosing (liquid calcium & alkalinity) uneconomical or impractical. It doesn’t sound like you are anywhere near that point yet. Are you doing any dosing to your tank currently?
Nothing more than the nutrients in my salt/water changes.
I’ve been buying Coraline crusted hermit shells over the last couple of weeks and have been shaving them off into my tank lol. My LFS usually looks at me like I’m a weirdo when I ask for one specific shell in a pile of 100 shells haha

B5F1448A-C758-4019-9E2A-41240D37125B.jpeg 181DF00D-B374-426D-BC5F-AD4A7CC770A4.jpeg AF29C749-D394-4C96-8060-90FF4ED23D6F.jpeg

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree and would say in a tank of that size a protein skimmer is far more important than a calcium reactor, infact you would probably have to be very careful running one.

Very nice tank as well!

Boonz28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Okay, once your calcium & alkalinity uptake get to the point where they exceed what your water changes can replace you should look into two part dosing. Lots of options out there including a one part solution from Tropic Marin called All-For-Reef. Bulk Reef Supply has some very economical options as well. It doesn’t have to be anything fancy, dosing pumps can make life a little easier but dosing by hand is perfectly doable also.
Your tank is looking great, keep up the good work!

OP
OP
Payne Train

Payne Train

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just Bought an aqua max HOB protein skimmer with some kind of bubble stopper on it :)
Figured I’d update you guys !

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 60 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back