calcium reactor

jose hernandez

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so want to get a calium reactor my question would be do i need a single chamber or dual and what are the benefits of using a single chamber or dual i have the red sea reefer 750xxl its sps dominant

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The second chamber is used mostly to allow pH to stabilize/rise before the effluent goes into the DT. The second chamber is not required, but is a good safety. It uses excess dissolved CO2 that might escape the main chamber. Just about anything can be used as a second chamber though. If you have the skill, it's an easy DIY. Sending the effluent through a Cheato fuge can perform the same function.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with a dual chamber reactor calcium reactor for my setup. The main purpose of the second chamber is to help neutralize the pH of the reactor affluent from the first chamber. This helps reduce the impact of the calcium reactor on pH of the aquarium system. As I went directly to a dual chamber setup I can't speak to the impact of having a single chamber calcium reactor on an aquarium but I would imagine that its impact on pH will vary system to system.

OP
OP
J

jose hernandez

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told it would help with the ph but then I read online not to chase ph I had a co2 scrubber in the past which boosted my ph to 8.3 saw a lot of coral growth but that was on a smaller system and it was easy corals this build is twice the water volume and it is sps dominant my ph currently gets down to 7.6 at night but during the day It gets up to 7.94 so not sure what to do wanna be safe not sorry

OP
OP
J

jose hernandez

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which rector would U recommend and for how may galons would I need to get it for?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your reactor is tuned well, then a second chamber does nothing since there is no excess co2.

I would figure out if you want to let a pH controller run your reactor or if you want to learn to tune it yourself. A reactor with a pH controller will never be all that efficient and they will not work at full-tilt, but some people just don't care and do not want to bother to learn how.

If you want an efficient setup, then buy a reactor that traps co2 in the top so that you can tell when it is out of tune. Korallin and some others do this. Nearly all reverse flow models can be modified to do so. If you don't care then get a dual chamber GEO setup since you will likely need the second chamber to help with your wasted co2.

In the end, the air in your home will still have a much more significant impact on pH than any reactor.

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your reactor is tuned well, then a second chamber does nothing since there is no excess co2...

I tune my new reactor mine without a controller except for a safety but I thought there would be some dissolved CO2 remaining in the effluent for the second chamber to use. It would be great if I'm wrong... again! :confused:

OP
OP
J

jose hernandez

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have the apex so can i use it to control the reactor? i dont know anything about calcium reactors my local lfs tells me stick to 2 part but most tell me go with calcium reactor its the way to go plus it will be less expensive down the road i want something thats not gona be complicated but that will help my tank be stable

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will strongly argue to NOT use the apex to control the reactor, but if you want it to monitor, then this is OK if you want it to send you a text. The best thing is to learn how to tune it for 24/7 operation for maximum output with the lowest possible co2 usage.

Your LFS probably wants to keep on selling you 2 part stuff... or maybe I am just too cynical.

OP
OP
J

jose hernandez

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive been watching videos like crazy but still complicated as far as the reactor and all that you need i see most have a geo reactor carbon doser regulator and the kamoer perilistic pump so i figure i would need all of that plus the 5lb tank and media still dont know how to put it all together

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the contrary, if I was setting up a new reactor today, I would buy a Korallin, a Tunze Regulator, use a main line T to feed it and get a 20lb bottle.

I have run just about every kind and used $1200 dual stage regulators with oil filled gauges and stainless steel and continuous duty peri pumps and what listed above is no less reliable than these.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 36.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back