Calcium Reactors in 2016

Collinw24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I've been lurking around for a while now, but decided to finally make an account and get active here.

So I've got a 180 gallon saltwater tank that has been set up for about 4-5 years now. It was always intended to be a reef tank, but school and other things got in the way and the tank just kind of set idle. Well... now things are different. The tank is in good health considering how much it has been neglected. About 2 months ago I finally, after all this time, started adding corals. Considering I've only added SPS and LPS, it's actually done pretty well.

I've been testing pretty much all the major parameters weekly, and have noticed that my calcium is finally started to drop. It was steady around 450 forever with waterchanges, but the corals are starting to settle in and it's down in the 300's now. So now I'm at the impasse that I need a calcium solution. I've been researching a lot lately, and it really seems like a lot of people are using two part, instead of calcium reactors. I can understand it from the upfront cost perspective, but I'm just curious what the best way to go is nowadays.

The main reason I'm considering a calcium reactor over two part is the fact that I have a 15lbs CO2 tank from when I used to home brew, and a pretty high quality regulator on it. So that saves me a couple hundred $$$ of the upfront cost. I've already got an Apex set up, so I could easily add another PH probe and automate the reactor. Currently I'm considering a GEO 618, to give me a little room for the upgrade itch.

I just wanted to get some opinions on what people are doing nowadays. Thanks.

- Collin

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a 180 and use a Geo's Reef 618 and love it. I switched from 2 part that I used for years and won't switch back

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's definitely no BEST way to go because there are amazing tanks using both methods of supplementation. Having used both, I prefer running a calcium reactor due to the fact that once it is set up and tuned it is literally zero maintenance until it's time for media and co2 refills, and if you're like me and get one 3x the size your tank needs, you can literally go over a year without servicing it. Just make sure your probe stays calibrated and test your alk regularly (which you have to do with two part anyway), but yes...it's a lot more expensive up front if done right. For a top shelf solution like a Geo, MTC, Vertex, or MRC, along with a high end dual stage regulator assembly, ph probe, media and masterflex pump, you're looking at about $1000 or more. For a comparable quality dosing setup like the Neptune DOS, and 5 gallon buckets of 2 part, you're looking at just over half that cost.

But, with a calcium reactor you have the added benefit of balanced trace element supplementation as well, not just the ionic salts you dose with 2 part. So some may see a CARX as a more complete solution. I know people with such immense calcium and alk demand that their calcium reactors run so strong that they're able to forego water changes for years on end. Not that anyone would recommend that to everyone, but it can be done if your waste export is good enough

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 28 18.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 103 66.9%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.2%
Back