Calcium Reactors, Yay or Nay?

Do you recommend running a calcium reactor?

• Yes

Votes: 15 71.4%
  • No

Votes: 6 28.6%

• Total voters

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the opportunity to get a Geo 618 calcium reactor, regulator, CO2 tank, and new media for a pretty good deal (I think haha), but I'm weighing out the pros and cons of using one. For those of you using, or that have used, a calcium reactor, do you think they're worth the investment? If not, why not? I want to hook this up to a heavily sps dominated nano tank (about 40 total gallons). The goal is to get used to this gadget up until I upgrade the system in the next year or so.

OP
OP
Maddlesrain

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A calcium reactor on such a small tank would likely be overkill. You can almost certainly keep the Ca and Mg in check with water changes and regular dosing as needed.
I don't do water changes, just manually dosing currently. Would it be possible to run on such a small tank? Maybe with less media or a slower CO2 input? I do plan to go bigger, and if I can learn to dial it in now I wouldn't mind so that when I do get the larger system I'll know what I'm doing.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Two part will suffice as long as you maintain levels.
I run large unit and a pain in the butt to dial in and effluent changes occasionally

ATXreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Share what size tank upgrade you have in mind. It will be easier for people to reply with a recommendation. I have never used a calcium reactor so can't help you make a decision.

OP
OP
Maddlesrain

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two part will suffice as long as you maintain levels.
I run large unit and a pain in the butt to dial in and effluent changes occasionally
Thanks for the input! What size system do you have yours on for future reference?
Share what size tank upgrade you have in mind. It will be easier for people to reply with a recommendation. I have never used a calcium reactor so can't help you make a decision.
I haven't 100% decided yet, or I would! Haha We're in the process of looking into getting a home, so whatever can comfortably fit in the space we end up with. I know that's not very helpful, but it's still up in the air. Likely nothing larger than 150 gallons.

OP
OP
Maddlesrain

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Downside to such a small tank and a reactor is keeping the Alk/ph stable.
Does it deplete the levels in the tank itself? Or is it an issue within the reactor because it's oversized? I've been sort of lazily reading up on calcium reactors recently, so I'm an absolute noob.

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran a calcium reactor on my 90 before tearing it down to move. I liked it and didn't have any issues, but it was just overkill even when the tank was full of fast growing corals. I think a couple of dosing pumps and Randy's newest two-part recipe works well great for smaller tanks.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can maintain calcium and alkalinity without a calcium reactor so the question is will the unit you're looking at make it easier to maintain stability or be more of a hassle than dosing manually either now or in the future when you have a larger tank?

OP
OP
Maddlesrain

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran a calcium reactor on my 90 before tearing it down to move. I liked it and didn't have any issues, but it was just overkill even when the tank was full of fast growing corals. I think a couple of dosing pumps and Randy's newest two-part recipe works well great for smaller tanks.
What kind of reactor did you use? Is there a way to "turn them down"? Sorry if that sounds silly, this would be my first time trying one.
You can maintain calcium and alkalinity without a calcium reactor so the question is will the unit you're looking at make it easier to maintain stability or be more of a hassle than dosing manually either now or in the future when you have a larger tank?
Yes, that's what I'm asking. If it's possible to use it on my small tank and learn the ins and outs while maintaining better stability, or if it straight up won't work. I know I can dose manually with two part, but I'm interested in trying out something else if it will work.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no doupt t'll work and if your wanting to learn the ins and outs I'd say it's better to learn now with an less expensive reactor on a smaller tank where maintianing stability might be more of a challenge than waiting to figure it out on a bigger system with a commeasurate increased risk.

OP
OP
Maddlesrain

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no doupt t'll work and if your wanting to learn the ins and outs I'd say it's better to learn now with an less expensive reactor on a smaller tank where maintianing stability might be more of a challenge than waiting to figure it out on a bigger system with a commeasurate increased risk.
My main concern is whether I can turn down the output of the reactor enough to match my small aquarium size? My thought was adding this on earlier rather than later seemed like a good choice, but I don't want to cause a major headache or overdose the tank, and all my precious corals.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be able to slow the flow through the reactor to match your corals demand irregardless of the size tank. But you're going to have to do a lot of testing to figure out what tweaking your reactor will need to maintain calcium and alkalinity. It seems to me you're going to have to decide if it's better to just manual dose for now or better in the long run to figure out your calcium reactor now.

OP
OP
Maddlesrain

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be able to slow the flow through the reactor to match your corals demand irregardless of the size tank. But you're going to have to do a lot of testing to figure out what tweaking your reactor will need to maintain calcium and alkalinity. It seems to me you're going to have to decide if it's better to just manual dose for now or better in the long run to figure out your calcium reactor now.
Yeah, I'll have to read up a bit more and make the choice. For 300 bucks a full calcium reactor setup is tempting, especially since I am interested in tuning it in now. I do enjoy the gadget aspect of the hobby, but I don't want to force it.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a large heavily stocked Acros tank.... you'll never be able to go on a 7-10 day vacation with a clear conscience ever again

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of reactor did you use? Is there a way to "turn them down"? Sorry if that sounds silly, this would be my first time trying one.
I used a humoungous Vertex. It it rated for like 300 gallons. You can turn them down just by raising the internal pH and adjusting the water flow through it. I still have it but don't use it.

OP
OP
Maddlesrain

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a large heavily stocked Acros tank.... you'll never be able to go on a 7-10 day vacation with a clear conscience ever again
Because of the acros? Or the equipment?
I used a humoungous Vertex. It it rated for like 300 gallons. You can turn them down just by raising the internal pH and adjusting the water flow through it. I still have it but don't use it.
What made you stop using it?

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because of the acros? Or the equipment?

What made you stop using it?
I broke down the tank and sold off the Acros to move it for a remodeling project. When I set the tank back up, I had dosing pumps and the calcium reactor system. While waiting to set the tank back up, I noticed that many were running two-part on high demand 90 gallon systems. I wanted to take advantage of Randy's newest two-part recipe for a while so I also chose the two-part method. The pH boost interested me.

Right now, demand is pretty low. I like the simplicity of the two-part system. I still have the Vertex if demand increases to the point where maintaining the two-part becomes bothersome. However, after seeing some of the other 90 gallons operating on two-part, I think the Vertex might collect dust until I decide to sell it.

reefnfun

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a large geo reactor on a 400 gallon system. The one you are looking at is rated up to 300 gallons. it is going to be way overkill even turned down. Your Alk will spike up to 12 -15 in no time and you will have to unplug it. I will tell you that I love running one. Mine runs on a carbondoser regulator. set and forget. The corals love it and grow crazy. I an not sure if you reduce the media that will work or not. If you do go that direction then use 2 part to get the calcium level where you want it and the reactor to maintain it there. Good luck and have fun.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 116 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back