Calcium too high and Magnesium is low

cjvilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I've been testing my water every week with the exception of my magnesium and alkalinity, which I check everyday. My last test results are below.

Alkalinity - 9.8
PH - 8.1
Calcium - 560
Iodine - 0.06
Magnesium - 1200
Nitrate - 5
Nitrite - 3
Phosphate - 0.19

I did 2 weekly water changes and my calcium levels stay the same. I will begin dosing Brightwell Aquatics Magnesion to get my levels to 1350. However, don't know how to lower my calcium levels. I'm kind of worried because some of me coral aren't extending to their fullest and it seems that my acans are closing up. Any suggestions anyone? Thanks

60 gallon mixed reef
Q-maven Zetlight II
Ice cap 2k wave maker
Bubble Magnus Curve A skimmer

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious how to lower calcium as well without water changes. Assuming no inhabitants at the moment to consume it.

Upvote 0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious how to lower calcium as well without water changes. Assuming no inhabitants at the moment to consume it.

There's no real way except water changes to lower ions that are not consumed, unless you want to drive up alk to drive precipitation.

There's nothing wrong with 560 ppm calcium so I would not recommend any treatment.

Upvote 0

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious if either of you are dosing anything.
not sure I would be worried with mid 500 Ca anyway. Could be testing errors. Hobby Ca test kits are not that accurate and could give 30 point +- readings from the actual value

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

cjvilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not sure I would be worried with mid 500 Ca anyway. Could be testing errors. Hobby Ca test kits are not that accurate and could give 30 point +- readings from the actual value
I'm dosing Nopox, Phosphat-e, Red Sea AB Reef Engery, & Triton Core 7

Upvote 0

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's no real way except water changes to lower ions that are not consumed, unless you want to drive up alk to drive precipitation.

There's nothing wrong with 560 ppm calcium so I would not recommend any treatment.
Is there a limit to calcium assuming it doesn’t precipitate out?

Upvote 0

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My coral skeletons are melting from nitrification being my best guess. Using API which I don’t expect precision but should be relatively accurate.

Upvote 0

View Badges
How to get calcium down buy more corals to consume it..alk need to come down also to about 9 if you want High,remember high all and calcium and corals will grow super fast might want to get another tank or set up another 1 to start fragging in 8 months.. I always wondered grow your corals out then just keep them there for them to stop growing just keep lower alk and calcium 1 day I will have to try this no more fragging.

Upvote 0

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When magnesium is low it’s hard to get cal and alk to stay stable. Plus when magnesium is low even if calcium and alk are at healthy levels calcium isn’t consumed by corals as well. Would double check your magnesium results by another tester and if in fact low would get them up before anything. Definitely check your salinity by another tester as well

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

cjvilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How to get calcium down buy more corals to consume it..alk need to come down also to about 9 if you want High,remember high all and calcium and corals will grow super fast might want to get another tank or set up another 1 to start fragging in 8 months.. I always wondered grow your corals out then just keep them there for them to stop growing just keep lower alk and calcium 1 day I will have to try this no more fragging.
Will do, thanks

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

cjvilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When magnesium is low it’s hard to get cal and alk to stay stable. Plus when magnesium is low even if calcium and alk are at healthy levels calcium isn’t consumed by corals as well. Would double check your magnesium results by another tester and if in fact low would get them up before anything. Definitely check your salinity by another tester as well
Thanks, I will use another tester

Upvote 0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using red sea pro (blue bucket) my salinity is 1.025.

That's a bit low, assuming it is accurate. Raising it to 35 ppt (sg = 1.0264 ) would raise magnesium from 1200 to 1270 ppm (which is nearly identical to the ocean average at 1280 ppm).

Upvote 1

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plus when magnesium is low even if calcium and alk are at healthy levels calcium isn’t consumed by corals as well

I do not believe there is evidence of that, nor do I think it is true, at least not at his levels, which really only reflect slightly low salinity.

Where did you see that?

FWIW, If a coral thrived in the ocean at a sg of 1.025 (they do), it will thrive in his tank at that level.

Upvote 0

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back