California Power Outages

Neuel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I saw this morning that PG and E is talking about blackouts again this summer/fall. What is everyone doing to prepare for this? I would hate to lose everything I have created since January just because PG and E can't do their jobs.

U

User1

View Badges
So I saw this morning that PG and E is talking about blackouts again this summer/fall. What is everyone doing to prepare for this? I would hate to lose everything I have created since January just because PG and E can't do their jobs.

Welcome to the Golden State... Be glad you didn't have a tank during the Enron linked blackouts. Family, extended family are all on a vacation half way around the world, back to back to back blackouts, tripped AC breaker, and thus my 100 gallon tank crash. That was a joy to come home to.

Never the less there is a thread here trending that is talking about battery backups, generators, and what not. So you have different price entry points. My suggestion is to at least keep 1 or 2 batter backup air pumps to toss in should something happen. It will help. Car power adapter things (forget what they are called) is another option. My explorer has a outlet so I can use that should I have an emergency. So you have options.

Best thing I can suggest is make nice with a neighbor who you trust with a key to your home and build a emergency list should power go out. Had I do that I probably would have my 100 gallon I lost above today. Simple scenario for me is:

Power out
Apex reach back alarm triggers checks, fails, sends notification
Call family or friend to check
Could be network out (simple) or catastrophic (tank, pump fail, or power out)
Read doc and put back as quick as possible be it reset breaker or other

dadnjesse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When you have a state purposely shutting off the power for long periods, the best thing you can do is get a generator that will run your whole house. Battery back up is only good for short power outages.

OP
OP
Neuel

Neuel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I told the wife that last year and she pooh pooh'd me about it. We'll see this year when she's melting from the heat.

clown99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a 50-Amp 9000W gas generator from Costco and a kit installed at the electrical panel. So now I can plug the generator into the panel to run the whole house whenever PG&E decides to cut power. The problem is the generator is very loud. I need to build a quiet box for it.

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Circulation and oxygen levels are typically more critical in these situations than temperature is. Battery powered air pumps are really great to have around for this sort of thing emergency. This is the best as it turns on automatically and you can use auxiliary USB batteries with it. https://www.marinedepot.com/usb-powered-dc-air-pump-single-port-cobalt-aquatics There is one that comes with an additional battery as well. A less expensive option that you may be able to get at wall mart or a bait and tackle shop is this one. https://www.marinedepot.com/marina-battery-air-pump
I recommend you get the first one and keep it set up ready to go for each tank you have.
You can also use a computer UPS to power a pump aimed at the surface of the tank for the same purpose. You can get 1500 VA ones that have additional hot swap able battery packs.

splitting_lanes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you live in a rural area that’s got a lot of fuel, get a backup ups and an air pump as suggested.

i live in a suburban area, and my power did go out when they had the rolling blackouts 20 years ago. But I’ve had no outages of significance since then.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back