Calling all 36" deep tank owners. Need advice!

JMSKI333

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

I am looking to have a 72" x3 6" by 30" tall custom aquarium built into my wall with a 15'x10' room behind it. I framed the rough opening and the "fishroom" into the space a few years ago (pictures below) when I redid my house and its currently drywalled over at the moment. Well, it's getting close to ordering time for the tank and cutting the hole I'm having second thoughts.

My question is: Will I be able to properly service my 36" deep tank and access it from only the back? Id really like the clean look of just glass with some trim facing my great room and not have all these cabinets and doors everywhere. I see all these in wall tanks with no front access so I want their feedback!!

IMG_5804.JPG

IMG_5807.JPG

rainmaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be hard to reach front of tank or even bottom unless your reaching straight down or have long arms
I had a deep tank an to reach bottom from front I was up to my shoulder to reach bottom front

rainmaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you could change the front framing above tank to flip up like a canopy to access front

OP
OP
JMSKI333

JMSKI333

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you could change the front framing above tank to flip up like a canopy to access front

Appreciate the reply. It’s not the reframing I’m afraid of. I can definitely cut that header out and have it all open. I guess I just prefer not having canopy’s on the front and just trim the tank out like I did my windows and doors in my house. That was my plan originally anyways.

lolgranny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s doable, but depends how big you are lol. I’m 6’5” and my tanks a 8’x3’x30” tall. It’s definitely not easy getting to some spots and that’s with having doors on the front of my canopy.

My old tank 6’x2’x2’ was just how you plan on doing yours. No cabinets in the front and only serviced by the back. I hated it, yes it looked “clean,” but if you drop something or want to mount something it turned into a 2 person job. You can only see so much with the power heads off and looking into the water.

I also had a sliding light rack above it so I could get to everything easierX just used hanging door rails and wheels. Would slide it back 8’ into the room and it gave me a lot more access to the front of the tank or wherever I needed without having the rack in my face or hitting my shoulder.

6bf59a9e0c53bd908f23d89272bf8ae9.jpg

This was then 6x2x2

Last edited:

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 176 72.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 45 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back