OP
OP
S

scotty333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The byssal opening will be under the inhalant siphon side. If you can’t see the threads, then don’t cut. You need to clearly see the threads and not guess where you’re cutting.
Where are the bysal threads? Right under the middle of the shell or more further out?

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you can’t see the threads, then don’t cut. Leave it be. You’ll end up damaging the byssal organ. If it’s tightly against the rock, then don’t try to free it. If it’s unhappy, it will move on its own.

OP
OP
S

scotty333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can’t see the threads, then don’t cut. Leave it be. You’ll end up damaging the byssal organ. If it’s tightly against the rock, then don’t try to free it. If it’s unhappy, it will move on its own.
Ok
I’ll leave it but might put the rock up higher and hope it moves across onto a clearing

OP
OP
S

scotty333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see a thread but just one , is it ok to cut it?

Attachments

• IMG_2537.jpeg
    IMG_2537.jpeg
    148.2 KB · Views: 18
OP
OP
S

scotty333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was 2 , done the surgery and put it in a sunny spot
Let’s see if itll stay there

Attachments

• IMG_2538.jpeg
    IMG_2538.jpeg
    260.3 KB · Views: 18
OP
OP
S

scotty333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah your absolutely right
I’ve been reading and looking at pictures a lot and it’s features are that of the maxima , I didn’t doubt you you minus but I was kinda hoping you were wrong given they’re harder to keep
I’ll get in touch with the supplier , thanks for all your help on this

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah your absolutely right
I’ve been reading and looking at pictures a lot and it’s features are that of the maxima , I didn’t doubt you you minus but I was kinda hoping you were wrong given they’re harder to keep
I’ll get in touch with the supplier , thanks for all your help on this
No worries. That pattern is reminiscent of the Red Sea, which have been in stock lately. When they come in, the market is flooded with them. Check out James’ site, add he has amassed a lot of great pictures. You’ll start to notice commonalities among species, with some oddballs here and there.

OP
OP
S

scotty333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So clams not opening fully , it’s one of 2 things, doesn’t like 600 calcium or the lights not enough
Any thoughts please?
Got a par meter rental coming next week so can rule light out

Last edited:

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Going back and looking through the pics you posted, there are a couple things that stick out to me. One, it doesn't seem like that clam had been provided enough light for a while, there's no significant growth on the shell, so the retailer wasn't keeping it under optimal conditions. Two, the other animals you have in your tank are exhibiting growth forms that are similar to low/medium lighting. So you take a clam that's been in sub-optimal conditions and move it to another tank/system with the same or worse conditions and it's a downward spiral. Maxima and crocea are kinda tough as starter clams, as they need optimal conditions from the start. Provide them less than optimal conditions and you're simply fighting against time before their demise.

OP
OP
S

scotty333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One other thing I was unsure about was the crevice I put it in , it was snug and probably it couldn’t extend its mantle enough cos of the rocks beside it
Now it looks like this since I put a small piece of rock underneath it to raise it an inch

Look ok for you now minus? I know you think I’m gonna kill it but I’m doing my upmost not to as a responsible reefer

Attachments

• IMG_2601.jpeg
    IMG_2601.jpeg
    154.4 KB · Views: 6

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
One other thing I was unsure about was the crevice I put it in , it was snug and probably it couldn’t extend its mantle enough cos of the rocks beside it
Now it looks like this since I put a small piece of rock underneath it to raise it an inch

Look ok for you now minus? I know you think I’m gonna kill it but I’m doing my upmost not to as a responsible reefer
Looks better, so hopefully it’ll extend more soon? They need a full range of motion to open their shells completely, so insuring they have the room is a good idea. Also, I don’t think you’re going to kill it, I’m just giving you observations/suggestions so you can give it the best conditions as possible. It’s all a learning experience and I’m trying to help the animal first, then give you the guidance or tools so you can arm yourself with the knowledge going forward. The problem with writing responses, is that you can’t hear the intent behind the words, so sometimes I come off as a little crass or short with new reefers, but that’s not the case. I only scorn the so called veteran reefers who pass on pointless advice that doesn’t actually help the new hobbyists. That’s why I always recommend James Fatherree’s book (or books in general) as it gives you so much info and it’s instant reference material without the need of an internet connection. I think books are still relevant in this hobby, in fact, one can buy volumes 1 & 3 of the reef aquarium by Delbeek & Sprung and be successful with those two books alone. I think so many new hobbyists don’t actually know the fundamentals of reefing (even some veteran reefers don’t either), and they are the basis of this hobby. The fundamentals haven’t changed, we simply delve deeper into each category now and have more efficient (sometimes too efficient) equipment at our disposal.
Sorry, I’ll get off my soapbox now. Patience, observation and knowledge will all help you solve problems, because that’s what this hobby is, solving problems.
Cheers Ana keep us posted.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 98 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back