Calling all Bean Animal experts

  • Thread starter Thread starter ReefDreamz
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

ReefDreamz

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
May 14, 2008
Messages
329
Reaction score
398
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plumbed my main siphon and open channel drains quite a far ways down into my sumps crash box. The open channel has quite a lot of bubbles coming out. I'm wondering if this is a bad thing and I should shorten these drain pipes closer to the waters surface for 2 reasons, one because this might be contributing to microbubbles in my tank and two because this might be depressing my pH by mixing high CO2 air into the system. Any thoughts?

20221208_180556.jpg




20221127_102914.jpg
 
You should shorten the pipes to be about 1 or 2 inches below the water line. My break animal is perfectly quite and no bubbles which is nice for avoiding salt creep from the bubbles.

Impressive setup btw!

A great video that explains everything
 
Agree with both comments above. Siphons need to terminate no more than an inch below the water line.

Where did you plumb the gate valve on the main
 
Yes to shortening, 1" below the water level. Better for system operation. Shouldn't do anything about the bubbles though.

Bubbles just mean there's more water going down the open channel than the pipe diameter can handle smoothly. Tune it so more water goes down the siphon and less down the open channel. If you have horizontal runs in the pipe or extremely high flow, you may be stuck with a few bubbles.
 
To geo sump.
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot_20220901_013350_com.vanced.android.youtube.jpg
    Screenshot_20220901_013350_com.vanced.android.youtube.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 46
  • Screenshot_20220901_012336_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220901_012336_com.android.chrome.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 50
I dont understand. Are those slits cut into the drain pipes? If so why? I see yours are equally far down into the crash box as mine are and you also have bubbles.
I have a bashsea sump and it came with the same pipes with slits. The slits are to disperse the water so it creates a more gentle flow so it does not disturb a refugium. I replaced mine with regular pvc so I could plumb properly.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW LONG HAVE YOU PERSONALLY KEPT YOUR LONGEST-SERVING CURRENT RESIDENT?

  • Under 1 year

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 to under 3 years

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3 to under 5 years

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • 5 to under 10 years

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • 10 to under 20 years

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • 20+ years

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • I’ve lost track

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new