Calling all BIOCUBE 14 owners!

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it really too small for a pair of juvies from a local breeder?

I have two in a 14g, mine stay in one corner, I believe that is what most clowns do, not sure how big they are going to get but it’ll be a few years before I have to think about an upgrade if one is needed.

OP
OP
bigdeeezyyyy

bigdeeezyyyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two in a 14g, mine stay in one corner, I believe that is what most clowns do, not sure how big they are going to get but it’ll be a few years before I have to think about an upgrade if one is needed.
Figured that as I seen alot of nano tanks with 2 of em in there. Plus I have an RBTA that imma put in there for them to hopefully host

GraveKone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pair used the whole of my 32g

TheSaltyNurse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it really too small for a pair of juvies from a local breeder?
I had a 14g biocube running for abou 6 years with two clowns and never had any issues. I wouldn’t add any other fish past that. My clowns are still kicking it, just in a different tank now.

I definitely suggest getting the media basket You can buy it or make one out of egg crate if you are looking for a cheaper option. Filter floss, Purigen, chemi pure elite. I used a hydor koralia 240 for some extra flow. Other upgrades I’ve noticed are an auto top of system, AI Prime 16HD for lighting if doing corals.

OP
OP
bigdeeezyyyy

bigdeeezyyyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 14g biocube running for abou 6 years with two clowns and never had any issues. I wouldn’t add any other fish past that. My clowns are still kicking it, just in a different tank now.

I definitely suggest getting the media basket You can buy it or make one out of egg crate if you are looking for a cheaper option. Filter floss, Purigen, chemi pure elite. I used a hydor koralia 240 for some extra flow. Other upgrades I’ve noticed are an auto top of system, AI Prime 16HD for lighting if doing corals.
Ai prime will be good for lighting

I used a small sicce power head for mine

Thanks guys! Appreciate the feedback and experience! I had some extra acrylic started a media basket project LOL. Will share here once completed!

As for lighting, going with a Prime HD and thinking about a Nero 3 as the wavemaker. Is the Nero 3 too much powerhead? Wat do you guys think?

40g Nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sicce was 270 gph

I thought it was plenty powerful

I think a Nero 3 is too big for a cube like that

also, $150 compared to $35

OP
OP
bigdeeezyyyy

bigdeeezyyyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sicce was 270 gph

I thought it was plenty powerful

I think a Nero 3 is too big for a cube like that

also, $150 compared to $35

i kind of like to have the controllable feature and the difference modes honestly. And the ability to turn it up in case i upgrade to a bigger tank later in the future. :)

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 16 gallon BioCube. It’s a mixed reef with a pair of clowns. I use the InTank media
Basket, Sicce 1.0 return and two Aqamai KPS pumps. I have a Kessil a160 hanging over the tank.

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wrote to AquaIllumination to ask about the lowest gph on the Nero 3 awhile back. Here is the response.
687757D2-BE93-47ED-99EE-0068CE65738E.png

Troyer15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just acquired a BIOCUBE 14 to setup for my kids to make it "their" tank that they can enjoy. My daughter and son are super exicted, but not sure why I am super stoked about it possibly more than them! (Maybe because the wife allowed it and because I haven't really purchased any fishes/inverts since foreverrrr!!!) LOL ;Smuggrin

I plan to make it an open top with hanging light, but would like to know from all the BC14 owners out there how you guys set up your BC14 and what mods are best for this small tank! Would love to see and hear some great ideas and suggestions from everyone!

Most likely will be filled with LPS/Softies, RBTA and pair of designer clowns to start. Let me hear and see em y'all!
I have one also and its been going strong for 8 years! Does your have the new LED lights? If so I would keep the top especially if you have children it will hopefully stop any foreign substances from getting in the tank. Also the lid cuts down on the evaporation drastically. Its going to be hard to keep a nem with other corals in that tank because it small and the anemone will most likely sting everything in it. I have a bunch of waving hand in mine that my clown has hosted. I have also upgraded to the Intank media basket and love it. I have a bunch of softies like the waving hand, gsp, yellow polyps, and kenya tree that just explode in that tank with very minimal maintenance. All around they are great tanks enjoy!

OP
OP
bigdeeezyyyy

bigdeeezyyyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
bigdeeezyyyy

bigdeeezyyyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one also and its been going strong for 8 years! Does your have the new LED lights? If so I would keep the top especially if you have children it will hopefully stop any foreign substances from getting in the tank. Also the lid cuts down on the evaporation drastically. Its going to be hard to keep a nem with other corals in that tank because it small and the anemone will most likely sting everything in it. I have a bunch of waving hand in mine that my clown has hosted. I have also upgraded to the Intank media basket and love it. I have a bunch of softies like the waving hand, gsp, yellow polyps, and kenya tree that just explode in that tank with very minimal maintenance. All around they are great tanks enjoy!
Previous owner had some custom LED boards in there which has some LEDs that are burnt out. The tank will be placed on a bar area that the kids will not be able to get to. i was thinking the same about the anemone, but planning to possibly have it on its own island (have one in current established tank that's on a piece of rock). I had some extra acrylic and gave it a go to make my own media basket...ill upload a pic when I get home later

OP
OP
bigdeeezyyyy

bigdeeezyyyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the media basket that I made out of some scrap acrylic I had...front side is a removable piece in which I used pieces of acrylic joining sections and glued it on so I can have the "sliding" removable action.

What do you guys think?

20210406_191901.jpg
20210406_191906.jpg
20210406_191919.jpg
20210406_191927.jpg
20210406_191934.jpg

Last edited:

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 50 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.0%
Back