Calling all experts: Weird Tissue Issue

Z Burn's Reefing

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 29, 2016
Messages
442
Reaction score
756
Location
Utah
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hey All, I am stumped. My Poletti Yellow Tip is doing strange stuff. No other SPS coral seems to be affected.

The tissue just looks really off, like someone took a file to it and tried to grind down the little nubs. I can't fathom I have something (i.e., fish?) capable of chomping on this piece and making it look this way...but maybe? No STN/RTN and polyp extension is pretty good where the coral looks "normal." This weirdness isn't impacting all of the coral, just the a few parts of the coral that are higher up. Coral shows good color, not pale or doesn't seem to be getting too much light. You can see in the pictures that the lower branches look completely normal. No direct laminar flow blasting on these weird parts either. Perhaps the nearby green slimer could be causing this strangeness? I don't know...

Any ideas what may be going on? Been going on for a few months now, but just kind of ignored it. Finally felt motivated to make a post to see if anyone has any ideas or experienced something similar. Oh and I just submitted an ICP today as well to see what that is looking like. Thanks!



weird1.jpg


weird2.jpg
 
Hello!
I have a similar thing in one of my acros. Happy to take a picture to compare.

From my side: not across the full acropora, mostly on some branches on the top.

It is like this for more than a year… recently, kind of improved but doesn’t grow much there.

My guess today is linked to the light - in my case, could be too much.

I was suspicious about circulation, but once I changed… nothing really happened.

Anyway… not sure if I helped, but I share the same “problem” :)
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 4 33.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 3 25.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 25.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new