Calling All Fromia Starfish Owners

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys just wanted to see if anyone has been able to keep a Fromia Starfish long-term since that's what I'm trying to do at the moment. I set mine on top of an oyster today and he definitely seemed to be eating it for at least a few hours while he was on it so I was curious about others' experiences with these guys. I do have a backup plan to feed him since I know they're notoriously difficult but before I go through all that I just wanted to know if anyone out there can give a few tips!

Chortanator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a fromia starfish for a while when I first started my tank, but of course they like established aquariums more and don't really do well in new tanks. I think that as long as you have good biodiversity in your microfauna and algae, you should be fine along with supplemental feedings. I noticed my fromia wasn't doing well when it started to melt in my tank, it was gradually losing limbs. I think that's the biggest thing you should watch out for, since fromia and linckia are notorious for melting.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a fromia starfish for a while when I first started my tank, but of course they like established aquariums more and don't really do well in new tanks. I think that as long as you have good biodiversity in your microfauna and algae, you should be fine along with supplemental feedings. I noticed my fromia wasn't doing well when it started to melt in my tank, it was gradually losing limbs. I think that's the biggest thing you should watch out for, since fromia and linckia are notorious for melting.
How long did you have him for??

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to check back in my build thread just to make sure - based on the pictures, I bought him mid-late October 2019 (only a month or so after my tank was fully cycled - big mistake) and it doesn't look like he even made it to March 2020.
That's about how long I've had mine for so far but I think I have the use of all live ocean rock on my side...plus I got a special plan on the works just for him...feel free to check out my thread before this to see what I'm talking about! In the meantime, he had a feast of oyster tonight...

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to check back in my build thread just to make sure - based on the pictures, I bought him mid-late October 2019 (only a month or so after my tank was fully cycled - big mistake) and it doesn't look like he even made it to March 2020.
Did you feed him at all? (Directly)

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think so, he was eating algae off the glass so I thought he was happy as he was - but of course, if I had a fromia now I'd probably feed salmon, just like I feed my brittle stars.
Experience is a hard teacher haha...Fromias are harder than brittle stars from my understanding (technically we're not even sure what their natural food is...biofilm is most likely) I'm currently trying to establish a healthy bacterial biofilm to provide mine with as natural diet as possible

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 33 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 27 27.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back