Calling all ghost overflow owners NEED HELP!

Reefnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I just setup my ghost overflow and it runs super quiet when my powerheads are off, but as soon as the vortechs reach about half power the rear overflow box starts surging. I setup the overflow exactly like the video shows. Iv tried running less flow through the overflow thinking maybe the water level over the weirs was to high but that was not the case. Any ideas?

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea well it happens to most people with ghost overflows mines loud as well

The only thing that can be done is put filter floss in the front overflow box or a sponge or something along those lines and then you will be told nothing is wrong there are over a thousand in production with no problems meanwhile ur tank sounds like a fountain

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine does the same .The Gyre blows more water into the overflow then runs down the auxiliary drain making noise . It's still very quiet & I'm used to it.

oceanfreak09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah man!! I love the look of the ghost overflow and am in the middle of a build right now for my 180.(was planning for one)Following along!! I hope someone brings us a trick to fix!

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's because the wave motion pushes more water into the overflow than your precise tuning of the gate valve can account for. This causes a) the noise of the water rushing into/over the weir and b) the additional water causing surging down the second drain or noise due to the emergency drain kicking in.

I think the only real solution is to limit the surface waves created by the flow. Not ideal for most people, but I can't think of a way to fix what is basically variable water level vs a fixed gate valve opening.

OP
OP
Reefnewb

Reefnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's because the wave motion pushes more water into the overflow than your precise tuning of the gate valve can account for. This causes a) the noise of the water rushing into/over the weir and b) the additional water causing surging down the second drain or noise due to the emergency drain kicking in.

I think the only real solution is to limit the surface waves created by the flow. Not ideal for most people, but I can't think of a way to fix what is basically variable water level vs a fixed gate valve opening.
It's not just surface waves. I put the vortech all the way to the bottom and without the surface moving it still does it. Kinda crazy.

OP
OP
Reefnewb

Reefnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am surprised it's still making that noise with vortechs at the bottom. Can you shoot a video?

I no longer have my ghost, but when I had it, it was dead silent. Even with a gyre.
Ill try a video tomorrow. It defiantly wasn't as bad when it was on the bottom, but it still happened.

oceanfreak09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am surprised it's still making that noise with vortechs at the bottom. Can you shoot a video?

I no longer have my ghost, but when I had it, it was dead silent. Even with a gyre.

Wondering if anyone else has a ghost overflow that works silently and has their wave makers cooking? Does it matter on the inner size of box?meaning.... is one that’s not as wide better then a coast to coast?or visa Versa?

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wondering if anyone else has a ghost overflow that works silently and has their wave makers cooking? Does it matter on the inner size of box?meaning.... is one that’s not as wide better then a coast to coast?or visa Versa?

I've seen someone else have a similar issue on a large tank with two large gyres, and I think it's just too much directional flow, even if there's not that much water movement at the surface, inner box riffles are tall, slight change in water pressure could create a waterfall effect. Personally I think it depends on the tank + combination of flow (i.e. single flow source vs multiple powerheads, spread out throughout the tank, creating random high flow).

Do we have a fluid dynamics engineer onboard? :)

OP
OP
Reefnewb

Reefnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen someone else have a similar issue on a large tank with two large gyres, and I think it's just too much directional flow, even if there's not that much water movement at the surface, inner box riffles are tall, slight change in water pressure could create a waterfall effect. Personally I think it depends on the tank + combination of flow (i.e. single flow source vs multiple powerheads, spread out throughout the tank, creating random high flow).

Do we have a fluid dynamics engineer onboard? :)
There are two mp40s faced at each other on reefcrest sooo that in my opinion is pretty random since the programming is constantly changing

Robert Vacchiano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have one on a 92 gallon corner tank love the look of it and not having a huge overflow but it is loud

Daniel Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Antics comments echo my experiences as well with my ghost overflow. My gyre is on a surge mode, which definitely creates the issue (unless you point the gyre really low). My vortechs on the back wall of my tank also create the issue because it kicks up a lot of random flow/ turbulence, which essentially means rapid change of volume of water being displaced near the overflow...which equals noise! I'm used to it now, but the only other solution is to reduce flow and try different spots. I can run my tank dead quiet, but I prefer the higher and more chaotic flow

n4s

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a dual synergy overflow and 2 xf250 gyre. It is not silent, but it is still quiet.
Try reducing the flow of your return pump and see what difference that will make.

Bizzle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I just setup my ghost overflow and it runs super quiet when my powerheads are off, but as soon as the vortechs reach about half power the rear overflow box starts surging. I setup the overflow exactly like the video shows. Iv tried running less flow through the overflow thinking maybe the water level over the weirs was to high but that was not the case. Any ideas?

I have a 1900gph eflux return running at about 70% .... so probably around 1000 gph with head loss, etc.
I played with my 16" Ghost for a little bit, but was able to get it SILENT. Here is how:

1. Main return in the rear box, make it shorter (I think I cut the pvc around 2")
2. Secondary return, make it taller (top of my U is about level with the top of the bulkheads, this is what sets the rear box water level). I think mine is closer to 4".
3. On the primary return gate valve, turn it up until you have a trickle through the secondary, then SLOWLY turn it about an 1/8 of a turn until you find that silent sweetspot. The trick is to have the least amount of trickle possible through the secondary, I found that is where most of my noise comes from.

When I followed Synergy's instructions, my main was sucking air through their siphon break hole in the rear box u joint. So by lowering that to ensure it is fully submerged, that got rid of a ton of noise.

I am sure everyone else in this thread has solved their issues, but this may help future reefers.

oceanfreak09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 1900gph eflux return running at about 70% .... so probably around 1000 gph with head loss, etc.
I played with my 16" Ghost for a little bit, but was able to get it SILENT. Here is how:

1. Main return in the rear box, make it shorter (I think I cut the pvc around 2")
2. Secondary return, make it taller (top of my U is about level with the top of the bulkheads, this is what sets the rear box water level). I think mine is closer to 4".
3. On the primary return gate valve, turn it up until you have a trickle through the secondary, then SLOWLY turn it about an 1/8 of a turn until you find that silent sweetspot. The trick is to have the least amount of trickle possible through the secondary, I found that is where most of my noise comes from.

When I followed Synergy's instructions, my main was sucking air through their siphon break hole in the rear box u joint. So by lowering that to ensure it is fully submerged, that got rid of a ton of noise.

I am sure everyone else in this thread has solved their issues, but this may help future reefers.

That was awesome of you to share!! I’m sure this problem comes up a lot! [emoji16]

oceanfreak09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were you able to get yours fixed oceanfreak?

I’m not the original poster, but I do have a ghost overflow. Since mine is in my fish room and it’s loud with pumps anyways, I didn’t run any pipes inside my overflow as of yet, but when I get time I’m going to Follow your instruction and see if I can run it silent to cut down on some of the noise. I hope my other non fish tank projects wrap up soon so I can put my attention back on my reef system! [emoji16]

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes thank you for sharing! I will be working on this over the weekend.

Also thanks @oceanfreak09 for pointing me to the thread :)

Back