CALLING ALL PRO DIY'ers... TANK to Custom Sump Conversion!

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of setting up and running an old school Perfecto 125g through a fallow period while I copper treat my old 55g. The 55g has my fish and Sand in it, a nano pump, 75g HOTB filter and an old remora HOTB skimmer, Ceramic 200w heater, nothing more.

The 125 is running off an Aqueon 400 Canister that is established from running the 55 for 3 months.
All of my Rock and Corals are there now... +a 50lbs box of dryrock

New:
RockFragsSetup1.jpg

Old: (Before transferring everything to new tank) [FUTURE DIY SUMP)
NewRock-6-29-18.jpg

Plan:

Once my fallow period is done, the fish should be squeaky clean and healthy, and I will move them (Slowly) into the 125 as it will be fully established and stable in 2 months.

Then the fun starts... Converting the 55g (48" x 20" x 12") into my Sump system for the new 125.
I already have a Custom-drilled 12"x12" acrylic box to setup as an external Chaeto Fuge to save space in my Tank/Sump setup for reactors etc...

I need input, ideas, past experience, Do's and Dont's, And what worked for YOU!

Please share Pics and setups of your DIY Tank-to-Sump Conversions here so I can see what I am up against in 2 months!

Please Include:
- Size of your old tank, and your new tank
- Sump Products/Brands/Powerput etc
- Heater placement, Plumbing Ideas/Pathing
- ATO and Dosing Setups

This could be sticky if we make it for all to share! I'm surprised there isn't one already!!

Fire away!!! Mozzletov!

#DIYWizards #Custom #DIY #Sump

Last edited:
OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan to use an overflow because my glass is tempered in the 125. I am also planning on doing a backup battery power strip for the essentials in case of an outage.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a modified 75 . Basic 3 chamber sump. Siliconed acrylic walls/baffles. If anything. Make sure the skimmer you will use fits & all. Then the return I built the chamber way too big at the expense of refugium room. If You want a remote fuge make sure that will fit under the stand also.

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a modified 75 . Basic 3 chamber sump. Siliconed acrylic walls/baffles. If anything. Make sure the skimmer you will use fits & all. Then the return I built the chamber way too big at the expense of refugium room. If You want a remote fuge make sure that will fit under the stand also.

I have a custom 12"x12" Fuge (external to the sump) that was built for the redsea250 kit. Drilled and all. So I can use the space I would have typically had for a fuge, and utilize it for whatever I want. The compartments will be whatever size I want based on which equipment I buy for it. Which is what this thread is for... I wanna see how everyone else has done their to get an idea of all the stuff I am going to buy so that I can size out the compartments accordingly.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow nice . Thanks.

Ya I just figured we could have a thread where everyone posted them together for easier findings and searching... and to save myself hours of looking thru threads as well :p

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my 70 gal sump is perfect . But i have a 5ft x 18 x12 inch Fuge tank with it..

How big is your DT?

Nevermind, just saw your sig, 240g. That's a sweet custom set up, a bit large for my 125 tho :)

Also, I rent a house, so a basement build isn't an option, but it still lets me see the foundations of different sump designs/setups

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made my sump from a standard 55, as well. My closet turned sump room is long and narrow, and I needed a fair volume sump that wasn't terribly wide.

Just over half is refugeum/splashdown area. Then skimmer (Vertex 180i) then return pump (Current eFlux). I'm using a Tunze ATO, with a DIY self refilling reservoir, a BRS dual GAC/GFO reactor, Apex classic, Coralbox dosing pump running Kalkwasser and ESV B-Ionic 2pt. Overflows are H2Overflows, plumbed to a custom acrylic box, using a BeAnAnimal style overflow. Overflow actually enters the sump very near the refugeum wall, with flow pointed back the other way. 24" dual T5 light on refugeum, filled with gracilliaria and chaetomorpha. Finnex titanium heater... I think that's about it.

It's not real clean, but it is serviceable, and easy to get at. Here's a pic of the whole mess :)

sump.jpg

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ill shop the custom one and price everything out for the rough build, and see where I'm at. maybe those kits are the way to go tbh.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 12 40.0%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 16 53.3%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 2 6.7%
Back