Calling all Red Sea NoPox users!

Sdoutreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received my first bottle of NoPox and have a question. I'm running GFO right now, should I take the GFO offline or leave it? Also, should I go buy the recommended dosage?

Last edited:

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Instructions do say to discontinue phosphate removing media. Be careful with this stuff If you use to much you
will get some weird cotton like algae.

OP
OP
Sdoutreefer

Sdoutreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Instructions do say to discontinue phosphate removing media. Be careful with this stuff If you use to much you
will get some weird cotton like algae.

Ok I'll keep that in mind. Thanks for the heads up.

I'm gonna start the dosing Monday. Hopefully this stuff works!

rchrdpnc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it works awsome you'll start seeing results in about 3 weeks

kurtyboh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely nice stuff they say to remove gfo because it interferes with the biological processes you are trying to start by using nopox. Also why pay for gfo when you are getting rid of phosphates with nopox?

OP
OP
Sdoutreefer

Sdoutreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely nice stuff they say to remove gfo because it interferes with the biological processes you are trying to start by using nopox. Also why pay for gfo when you are getting rid of phosphates with nopox?

Good point.

So I'm in need of a new No3 test kit. Anyone have recommendations? All my other kits are Salifert and am pretty partial to their kits. Is there a better one out there?

OP
OP
Sdoutreefer

Sdoutreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there anything specific as should do as far as dosing this stuff? Like at night or anything?

kurtyboh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the late response, I hope you figured out your issues, but I fose at the same time every day which is normal for anything you dose. Salifert is certainly one of the best, I have the redsea algae control test kit primarily because that is what my lfs carries. It is probably the nicest colorometric kkit I have used but of course titration is easier to read the results.

OP
OP
Sdoutreefer

Sdoutreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been dosing for almost two weeks now. The algae started turning white a few days after I started to dose but now it's all turning brown, which is because of Po4, correct? I took my GFO offline and am thinking of running it again. It does say to not run GFO while dosing... should I leave it offline or run again but decrease the amount?

I did increase my feeding because a couple of my fish were looking too skinny from decreasing feeding while battling GHA before the NoPox..

Last edited:

kurtyboh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just leave it off and try to pull any of that you can because as itvdies it releases more nutrients back into the tank, it will work to just leave it be but will take longer to get the results. The reason you don't run gfo is because you are trying to feed a population of bacteria that utilizes these nutrients by removing part of their food source it messes with their biological process and can lead to some funky results.

OP
OP
Sdoutreefer

Sdoutreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just leave it off and try to pull any of that you can because as itvdies it releases more nutrients back into the tank, it will work to just leave it be but will take longer to get the results. The reason you don't run gfo is because you are trying to feed a population of bacteria that utilizes these nutrients by removing part of their food source it messes with their biological process and can lead to some funky results.

So would increasing my water change schedule help out? Ya I understand why you don't want to run GFO but I was thinking maybe there was too much PO4. But then again dosing for only a couple of weeks isn't very long

OP
OP
Sdoutreefer

Sdoutreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soo it's been about a month of dosing 2ml/day and algae is still standing strong. I know a month isn't long in this hobby but I thought I'd be seeing some results.

Hopefully someone who's used this can give me some advice. Should I increase my doseage or stick with what I'm doing? My water volume is right around 50gallons and No3 testing 0.0 and Po4 testing 0.0 (both salifert).

kingb4c0

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NoPox is very effective reducing Nitrates, for phosphates it will take some more time. Like everything in this hobby you have to find your own balance, not all the tanks are the same and not all solutions work the same way. Phosphates at "0" is a big NO IME.
What king of algae? HA, Bryopsys, Cyano?
What is your CUC?
How are your corals doing?

OP
OP
Sdoutreefer

Sdoutreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NoPox is very effective reducing Nitrates, for phosphates it will take some more time. Like everything in this hobby you have to find your own balance, not all the tanks are the same and not all solutions work the same way. Phosphates at "0" is a big NO IME.
What king of algae? HA, Bryopsys, Cyano?
What is your CUC?
How are your corals doing?

I agree. Po4 needs to be somewhat existent. I know I have Po4, because some of the algae is brown. The algae is hair algae.

CUC consists of about 20 ceriths, a few scarlet hermits, blue leg hermit, Halloween hermit, 10 nassarius, about 5 emerald crabs.

My corals are doing great. Once I got my alk issue under control all SPS have had great PE and the colors have never been so vibrant.

I'm starting to think my ATO reservoir could be leaching something..

Daddio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had great results... I underdose and even miss some days. It took a good month before I started seeing any real results. I can see it's working because my chaeto has shrunk more than half. No cyano in the dead spots anymore. I have a problem with sailors eyes and those are almost gone also. It was a slow but steady process.

My tests and even the LFS all showed "0" for nitrates and phosphates as well but obviously they are there. I have tried and tried to find the source...

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 33.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back