Calling all trident owners....how loud is it?

Scorchx1245

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I went to order my trident and waa super excited etc etc till I told my gf what it does. She insist that it better be quiet. I wanted to install it above my sump cabinet outside tbe cabinet ( my cabinet is to the left of the tank not under it.) Where I have a nicely laid out display board for my apex. Is it loud? Lots of clicking? Never seen or heard one in use.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a decibel meter, but I don't consider it to be very loud. When the Trident was first released, it made a lot of whirring/clicking/beeping sounds, and everyone compared it to R2D2. A few months later Neptune released a software update that eliminated most of those sounds. I can still hear it click a couple times when testing, but otherwise I don't hear it over the sound of my skimmer. Mine is inside a cabinet, so I assume you'll hear it more easily out in the open.

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to say exactly on how loud it is as I have not measured it but I would say if you take an electric pencil sharpener and cover it up with a towel real well, like 3-4 inches thick, that's about what it sounds like and how loud I feel it sounds like. Although the pencil sharpening sound is only brief when it's drawing water in to the unit.

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have mine out in open and all you hear is a few clicks when testing not loud at all

6BFF0628-248E-456B-B24A-0FBD214C5C91.jpeg

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine makes a high pitched squealing/whine noise when it is drawing water that is extremely noticeable (rooms away). Its definitely not quiet. YMMV (that or mine has issues but # wise its been great)
I agree. It’s a high pitch whine. Doesn’t bother me at all but I can hear it in the next room in a reasonably noisy office.

Roosterjack

Struttin’ and Cluckin’
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine will make some low level whining noise and an occasional muffled clunk. i wouldn’t want it next to my bed but it’s not really loud at all.

OP
OP
Scorchx1245

Scorchx1245

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for yalls input. The idea with setting times is awesome. Plan a schedule when we're not around or like 1st in the morning when we're getting ready, plus 3 other times thank yall!

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t call it loud at all. You can set it test at whatever times you want

Thank you for yalls input. The idea with setting times is awesome. Plan a schedule when we're not around or like 1st in the morning when we're getting ready, plus 3 other times thank yall!

This is incorrect. You cannot choose specific times for the unattended tests. You can only choose how many tests per day, and they are on a fixed schedule starting at midnight. The default schedule is 4/2/2 tests per day (that’s 4 alk tests, 2 calcium tests, and 2 magnesium tests). They run at 00:00, 06:00, 12:00, and 18:00. This is the minimum schedule available. Here’s an example if you choose more frequent tests:
6C013AF7-0551-4000-9DBE-F82CF0CC6029.png

If you want fewer tests per day, or at specific times, you would have to disable the Automatic mode and run manual tests where you need to kick it off on your own:
3DAA41CD-6C86-4041-ABCA-860017BB2FD9.jpeg

Last edited:

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. It’s a high pitch whine. Doesn’t bother me at all but I can hear it in the next room in a reasonably noisy office.
(Disclaimer: don't own a trident)

OP - find someone local who has one and go have them run a test manually while you're there. Take the girlfriend. Unless something is ridiculously loud, these threads are generally a waste of time.

Many of the posters in this forum are older - and especially in men - that means some hearing loss. I've got pumps that people on here routinely call silent (cough, Sicce Syncra, cough) - where I've been through multiple pumps - and they're just plain loud. I've got DC pumps that are quiet, and DC pumps that have audible whine - some people can't hear that whine.

I just bought a tunze ATO pump on the advice that it wasn't silent, but isn't loud - and I can literally hear it on a different floor on the opposite end of the house.

cidermaster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the correction I thought you could change the times
This is incorrect. You cannot choose specific times for the unattended tests. You can only choose how many tests per day, and they are on a fixed schedule starting at midnight. The default schedule is 4/2/2 tests per day (that’s 4 alk tests, 2 calcium tests, and 2 magnesium tests). They run at 00:00, 06:00, 12:00, and 18:00. This is the minimum schedule available. Here’s an example if you choose more frequent tests:
6C013AF7-0551-4000-9DBE-F82CF0CC6029.png

Thank you for the correction . I thought you could change the times ..

U

User1

View Badges
You probably already have enough replies but it isn't that loud of a device. There are louder devices for the aquarium that I have. For example the DOS unit. I hear the unit more than I hear the trident. I can hear my skimmer. I can also hear my Gyre's (XF250) when they are dirty. It is all relative but as it relates to the Trident nothing earth shattering loud.

You hear a few clicks depending on what the ambient noise is in the room as well as the placement of the unit. No different than any other piece of aquarium equipment as I see it.

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(Disclaimer: don't own a trident)

OP - find someone local who has one and go have them run a test manually while you're there. Take the girlfriend. Unless something is ridiculously loud, these threads are generally a waste of time.

Many of the posters in this forum are older - and especially in men - that means some hearing loss. I've got pumps that people on here routinely call silent (cough, Sicce Syncra, cough) - where I've been through multiple pumps - and they're just plain loud. I've got DC pumps that are quiet, and DC pumps that have audible whine - some people can't hear that whine.

I just bought a tunze ATO pump on the advice that it wasn't silent, but isn't loud - and I can literally hear it on a different floor on the opposite end of the house.
Totally agree with this. Second best would be to find a YouTube video with some reference sounds (i.e. someone talking at a normal level) to see what you think.

I had the same experience with the Tunze ATO. Rock solid ATO but noisy pump!

Entz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You probably already have enough replies but it isn't that loud of a device. There are louder devices for the aquarium that I have. For example the DOS unit.
yeah it is all relative for sure. I would say the trident is darn near silent when compared to the DOS. That thing is on another level.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of this has to do with the room it is in. If you have a tile floor and very little drapery it will be a lot louder than in a carpeted room with drapes and couches.

I have tiles and light drapes and at 15ft I hear a slight whining sound and some louder clicks from the hose clamps. These clicks happen about once a minute when it’s testing. It would not be pleasant if this was my bedroom and it was midnight, but in my living room it’s nothing that grabs our attention or is even noticeable if the TV is on.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a mechanical piece of equipment.
It makes noise.
The Dos is louder IMO.
Way to many factors to make any solid statement.
Some wont have heating or air conditioning run at night as its bothersome to them.

If you are a light sleeper then you need a sound proof room.

The case and point here where two posters say they can hear it in another room with ambiant noises.
For most this is not the case, they are the exceptions. Just have accute hearing for the tones of the Trident.

If you go check one out I guarantee it will be louder to you. Why because all your focus will be on the sound it makes.
This is a human condition.

Kinda like when you want to buy a particular car in a particular color,
Before you get it, you will never see one on the road, after you buy yours then you will see 10 a day.

The only way to know is to put it in use.
I do not feel they are loud. I was angry when Neptune updated the unit and got rid of R2-D2. Most hated it I was the exception and loved it.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 10 71.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 14.3%
Back