Calling everybody with an 8 foot tank

Kevinsreefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calling everyone with an 8 foot tank. I’ll be building an 8 foot tank in my future home in the next year or two and I’m trying to figure out if a 24” tall tank looks weird and makes it look like a frag tank.

I love the depth of 24” on my 120. When I had a 220, the 30” made it so my armpits got wet every time I had to reach the bottom of my tank.

Also, I want to know where you got your tank from. I’m leaning towards acrylic right now and I’ve heard good feedback about Glass Cages. Any other manufacturers out there you recommend?

Post your pictures of your 8 foot tank with the height so I can see pictures for inspiration.

Cheers!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Calling everyone with an 8 foot tank. I’ll be building an 8 foot tank in my future home in the next year or two and I’m trying to figure out if a 24” tall tank looks weird and makes it look like a frag tank.

I love the depth of 24” on my 120. When I had a 220, the 30” made it so my armpits got wet every time I had to reach the bottom of my tank.

Also, I want to know where you got your tank from. I’m leaning towards acrylic right now and I’ve heard good feedback about Glass Cages. Any other manufacturers out there you recommend?

Post your pictures of your 8 foot tank with the height so I can see pictures for inspiration.

Cheers!
I have a 10 foot and stand height of 35" but also has a canopy. It looks odd at viewing level when lower but its a matter of YOUR preference.
Ive seen 6ft displays at an LFS on lower stands and seems ok. I'd caution if any children, it increases their ability to get into or objects into the tank

ThaBeast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My current tank is 7 ft with a 21" height, I think it looks fine. 36" stand, 12" canopy
View & aesthetics is highly subjective

Attachments

• IMG_2332.jpeg
    IMG_2332.jpeg
    130.6 KB · Views: 103
OP
OP
Kevinsreefs

Kevinsreefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 10 foot and stand height of 35" but also has a canopy. It looks odd at viewing level when lower but its a matter of YOUR preference.
Ive seen 6ft displays at an LFS on lower stands and seems ok. I'd caution if any children, it increases their ability to get into or objects into the tank
Sorry I meant the tank glass having a height of over 24”. Good to think about with the viewing height though. I was planning on mocking that all out before building the stand.
Cheers!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Sorry I meant the tank glass having a height of over 24”. Good to think about with the viewing height though. I was planning on mocking that all out before building the stand.
Cheers!
I have 25 right now. My 660g was 34 an my 360g was 36. It was so high and im not joking...... when i set that tank up, trying to pace rock, I leaned over the rim and cracked 3 ribs, then I discovered my best friend at 34" :

1706145709527.png

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks dude.
I have taken a ton of pics but just never got around to posting in a build thread and then having to write about it.
Although I was recently contacted by Reef Hobbyist Magazine who want to feature my tank in an upcoming edition so I may have to put in some work after all. :)

OP
OP
Kevinsreefs

Kevinsreefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Joe Glass Cages makes fantastic tanks. Mine is 96x30x25 and it's perfect. I actually wish I would have gone 120x30x25.
20240122_195849.jpg
386293.jpeg
386294.jpeg
386296.jpeg
Beautiful! This is the exact tank dimensions I’m looking for so this is a perfect visualization. Glass?

OP
OP
Kevinsreefs

Kevinsreefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks dude.
I have taken a ton of pics but just never got around to posting in a build thread and then having to write about it.
Although I was recently contacted by Reef Hobbyist Magazine who want to feature my tank in an upcoming edition so I may have to put in some work after all. :)
Rightfully so!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back