Calm before the storm? Is GHA lurking in the midst?

ocellarisoasis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank finally settling in after a gnarly bacterial bloom which I attribute to prazi pro (that itself was enough to convince me to setup a qt). Water is clear and all polyps are open most of the day. So nice after a couple weeks a diatoms followed by the bloom.

My fear is that something else is on the way and soon. Should I be prepared for a GHA outbreak or is it possible to go through without one? Tank has been up for 3 months. One royal gramma, 3 trochus, peppermint and a turbo. 20 long
Parameters:
Salinity:1.025
Amm and nitrite:0
Nitrate:5
Ca: 400mg
Alk:10dkh
Phos: 0.05

IMG_4479.jpeg

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With nutrients that low, you might avoid it. But it really isn’t harmful and nothing to fear. It’s a normal part of the maturation process and can help support all the microorganisms in the tank that create the necessary biodiversity for a healthy tank. Keeping a ‘sterile’ tank is asking for dinoflagellates down the road.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank finally settling in after a gnarly bacterial bloom which I attribute to prazi pro (that itself was enough to convince me to setup a qt). Water is clear and all polyps are open most of the day. So nice after a couple weeks a diatoms followed by the bloom.

My fear is that something else is on the way and soon. Should I be prepared for a GHA outbreak or is it possible to go through without one? Tank has been up for 3 months. One royal gramma, 3 trochus, peppermint and a turbo. 20 long
Parameters:
Salinity:1.025
Amm and nitrite:0
Nitrate:5
Ca: 400mg
Alk:10dkh
Phos: 0.05

IMG_4479.jpeg
"Outbreak" is a relative term... With a tank this young, you WILL get algae, gha included, there's really no avoiding it. As mentioned above, this is desirable and part of the tank maturation process. Most successful tanks have some visible algae - just not in plague proportions. It's all part of a healthy ecosystem.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started a new tank on 2/20/23 using dry rock and barebottom. I did add some rubble from an established system I have and cycled with fritz turbo start 900. I've been using the mothod @SunnyX outlines below as a guide. I have a total volume of 75g and have been dosing 0.5ml of bactobalance and 0.2 of Microbactor 7 daily for a few months and have been pleasantly surprised with my results. With the exception of some cyano early on I've been able to avoid most of the uglies. When the cyano was present I blasted it off the rocks daily and added the DIY coral snow afterwards. That was probably 2 months ago. I have to say out of the three tanks I have running this is the cleanest. Its still early with plenty of time for setbacks but I've really been happy with the results so far. This is the tank from a few days ago.
20230901_191521.jpg

Sonnyx article

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 150 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back