Camel shrimp reef safe?

Dragonreef202

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have purchased a camel shrimp and put him inside my sump because how people saying he would eat my corals. Would it be safe to put him in my reef tank? if not he'll just be in the sump for his time with me.

Ashley Garabedian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to my marine invertebrates book, camelback shrimps (hinge-beak prawns) prey on corals and other polyps. Not reef aquarium safe, except in very large tanks with a healthy growing popoulation of various polyps.

4n2xtacy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Camel shrimps are not reef safe.having a camel shrimp in a reef tank is ike having a kid in a room of candy. They devoured 2 colonies of my Acans. I had to take down my tank to get them cos once they go in your main display, they are very difficult to get out.

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have purchased a camel shrimp and put him inside my sump because how people saying he would eat my corals. Would it be safe to put him in my reef tank? if not he'll just be in the sump for his time with me.
No predation and well fed. Lol, make sure you feed it. :) sump life wouldn't be the end of the world.

Just harder to see.

They are beautiful shrimp. Just a really, really bad idea in a reef tank.
Think rogue peppermint shrimp on steriods that eat your aptasia then start devouring the rest of your polyps.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 41 31.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 47 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.8%
Back