Camera recommendations

Jonas Bergkvist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This topic may not belong here, but i wonder if you guys could give me a recommendations for an underwater camera? I think it would be really cool to just lower it down a bit into the aquarium and zoom into a coral and get a really sharp close-up of it.

I tried to take photos with my Panasonic system camera from the outside and in, and it just won't cut it. My camera is not bad at all. I also turned down the blue and increased white light to have better chance of getting a good picture. I needed to take a photo because my LPS has some brown spots on it, and i needed someone to Id decease or symptom.

My iPhone won't do. I never tried to add filters to it though. Maybe this is a cheap option?

What cameras are you using to take awesome pictures of your corals? I've seen some reefers here that post pictures and they really bring out both the corals colors and details.

I could use a camera with just the basics and no bling bling, just high quality crisp pictures with the ability to zoom a bit. Any recommendations are welcome :) My budget is around $500 or around there.

Geesus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had this conversation with my son and here's what we gathered.

GoPro 6-8 will give you amazing underwater video. No special equipment needed as it waterproof. The newest GP gives you better stills with great video but older models ... They just don't take pictures well. Cost? Pretty cheap used. And not too bad new.

Our next option is to buy a macro lens for his Canon DSLR; T7i. This things is amazing but was also expensive. You might be able to grab this camera for $500 used but definitely check around.

aws2266

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watching this as I'm looking for a good camera as well. I was planning on getting a GoPro knock off and a Borescope. I've seen some pretty cool photos of coral with the Borescope.

OP
OP
Jonas Bergkvist

Jonas Bergkvist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

GoPro 6-8 will give you amazing underwater video. No special equipment needed as it waterproof. The newest GP gives you better stills with great video but older models ... They just don't take pictures well. Cost? Pretty cheap used. And not too bad new.

Our next option is to buy a macro lens for his Canon DSLR; T7i. This things is amazing but was also expensive. You might be able to grab this camera for $500 used but definitely check around.
Thanks, i definitely will check GoPro's - they are pretty useful for all activities! Good idea with the macro lens to. I'm sure there are a few brands out there that i can pick from.

OP
OP
Jonas Bergkvist

Jonas Bergkvist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watching this as I'm looking for a good camera as well. I was planning on getting a GoPro knock off and a Borescope. I've seen some pretty cool photos of coral with the Borescope.

Awesome idea with a borescope. Can i connect that to a GoPro you think? Anyway i can imagine how easy it would be to get some pretty cool pictures with it. I mean you could get into crevices and caves. Now that i think of it, i got two pistol shrimp that i know live in a piece of rock, but i only see them once every three months lol. It would be cool to lead that borescope where i know they live and snap a photo of them :)

OP
OP
Jonas Bergkvist

Jonas Bergkvist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have that same camera. I love it, but I do need to start investing in better lenses to capture the shots I want.

Edit... I meant I have the Cannon Rebel T7.. lol

Geesus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have that same camera. I love it, but I do need to start investing in better lenses to capture the shots I want.

Edit... I meant I have the Cannon Rebel T7.. lol
Took a lot of convincing but the reason for the purchase at the time was worth it. And it really is a great camera.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 55 30.9%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 47 26.4%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 36 20.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 38 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back