Camera type?

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If one was looking for a camera on black friday. What brand or lenses should I be looking for?

Thanks

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on your budget. It depends on your photographic skill & dedication. And it depends on your purpose.

For DSLR, digital single lens reflex, cameras, Canon and Nikon produce the best cameras and lenses.

Many people like the more compact mirror less cameras and Sony makes good ones.

And then there are a boat load of point and shoots.

If you are willing to do a little research, go to Digital Camera Review for information and recommendations on cameras and lenses.

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont want a point and shoot. That's what we are replacing.

Canon/nikon would be nice. Not sure what lense type? And would use this for photography from my tank, daughter, travel, etc.

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on your budget. It depends on your photographic skill & dedication. And it depends on your purpose.

For DSLR, digital single lens reflex, cameras, Canon and Nikon produce the best cameras and lenses.

Many people like the more compact mirror less cameras and Sony makes good ones.

And then there are a boat load of point and shoots.

If you are willing to do a little research, go to Digital Camera Review for information and recommendations on cameras and lenses.
If I get a camera with a macro lense. Is it also good for shooting many other things, like vacations etc. Or does that require a different type of lense?

inktomi

ReefMan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For travel I like lenses on the wider end of things - I get a lot of use out of my 16-35mm when traveling. Portraits are great around 85mm. For coral photos, you'll probably want a dedicated macro lens along with a tripod.

Maybe give us some more information on the sorts of photos, and we can sort it out with you.

What kind of family photos? Kids playing in the yard? Portrait style?

What do you like to take photos of when traveling? Architecture? Birds?

I would second the Sony A6___ series of cameras, they're affordable and really nice. The a7 line is as well, but that will be more than you likely want to spend.

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For travel I like lenses on the wider end of things - I get a lot of use out of my 16-35mm when traveling. Portraits are great around 85mm. For coral photos, you'll probably want a dedicated macro lens along with a tripod.

Maybe give us some more information on the sorts of photos, and we can sort it out with you.

What kind of family photos? Kids playing in the yard? Portrait style?

What do you like to take photos of when traveling? Architecture? Birds?

I would second the Sony A6___ series of cameras, they're affordable and really nice. The a7 line is as well, but that will be more than you likely want to spend.
As far as what I would take photos of, I'd say pretty generic. A little bit of everything. Think maybe the a6, if that's what you would suggest.

inktomi

ReefMan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Sony a6000 gets good reviews for sure, from what I've seen. If it's in your budget, something like the A6500 or A6600 would do better but they're newer and a lot more money. Newer camera tech generally means better (faster) autofocus and less noise in the image in lower light conditions. Obviously there's more to it than that, but at the core that's usually what they improve on.

A kid running full speed toward you will be tough for a lot of cameras to capture a sharp image of, unless they have really good autofocus performance. Most of the current generation cameras _should_ be able to do this..

For a good all around lens I'd recommend something in the range of a 35-70 zoom - maybe the Tamron 28-75mm (which is about $900 so **not** cheap but will last forever and gets great reviews). At the 70mm end you'll get nice portraits, and at the 35mm end it'll be a wider angle for group shots and stuff like that. Keep in mind that this is a "full frame" lens and the A6500 (and co) are "crop sensors" which sort of makes the image a bit more zoomed in than it otherwise would be - so the Tamron 28-75 is actually a 35-85 or whatever the crop factor is. Just something to be aware of.

I'm a Sony camera buff, but Nikon and Canon also have great stuff too. I'd still recommend a zoom in the 30ish to 70ish range as a good all around lens. I'm sure other folks can fill in a specific option from Canon or Nikon.

One thing I like to do is pick out stuff that I'm consdering from Lens Rentals and rent them for a week. Take some photos, visit the Zoo, whatever you think you would like to do. See what you think of the tech. A lot of times you can convert the rental into a purchase and get the rental cost applied to your purchase. That'd let you try out the camera bodies and lenses you think you might like and see what you actually think. Nothing beats actually having them in your hand for a while and playing around with them.

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Sony a6000 gets good reviews for sure, from what I've seen. If it's in your budget, something like the A6500 or A6600 would do better but they're newer and a lot more money. Newer camera tech generally means better (faster) autofocus and less noise in the image in lower light conditions. Obviously there's more to it than that, but at the core that's usually what they improve on.

A kid running full speed toward you will be tough for a lot of cameras to capture a sharp image of, unless they have really good autofocus performance. Most of the current generation cameras _should_ be able to do this..

For a good all around lens I'd recommend something in the range of a 35-70 zoom - maybe the Tamron 28-75mm (which is about $900 so **not** cheap but will last forever and gets great reviews). At the 70mm end you'll get nice portraits, and at the 35mm end it'll be a wider angle for group shots and stuff like that. Keep in mind that this is a "full frame" lens and the A6500 (and co) are "crop sensors" which sort of makes the image a bit more zoomed in than it otherwise would be - so the Tamron 28-75 is actually a 35-85 or whatever the crop factor is. Just something to be aware of.

I'm a Sony camera buff, but Nikon and Canon also have great stuff too. I'd still recommend a zoom in the 30ish to 70ish range as a good all around lens. I'm sure other folks can fill in a specific option from Canon or Nikon.

One thing I like to do is pick out stuff that I'm consdering from Lens Rentals and rent them for a week. Take some photos, visit the Zoo, whatever you think you would like to do. See what you think of the tech. A lot of times you can convert the rental into a purchase and get the rental cost applied to your purchase. That'd let you try out the camera bodies and lenses you think you might like and see what you actually think. Nothing beats actually having them in your hand for a while and playing around with them.
Great information for sure, thanks. I'm going to most definitely be looking around on black friday.

For myself being in southern Ontario, I'm not aware of any rental places. But that is a really good idea....

What would you consider Nikon or Canon comparables to the sonys a6,etc line?

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a Pro photographer. Over the last thirty seven years, I have used nearly every brand of camera. I have shot images with a $35,000 Hasselblad, used an Iphone and back to a DJI Drone. The Camera brand really doesn’t matter. I’m going to be 100% honest all of the brands of today will do a fine job. You need to select your equipment based on what you plan to do with it and your budget.
Figure out what YOU are going to shoot and then ask what features you need and want. How much do you want to be involved in the capturing of the image? Are you wanting to learn the art of photography or just want to take pictures? Only you can answer these questions. No one can do it for you.

Sony, Fuji, Canon, Nikon, Leica, Hasselbad are all great camera brands. Olympus, and Pentax also are good. You can buy a kit at the box store, or camera store. Go try out the cameras, find what fits your hands, good ergonomics are a big factor for me. Best thing I can say, figure out what you want to do and learn, then find what works in your budget.

Lenses are an entirely different ball of wax. You can spend a fortune on them and still find your missing the one you need for the next job. I have rented many specialty lenses for particular jobs. My main lenses I take to every job are 16-35, 28-70, 70-200 all are f2.8. I’ll bring others depending on the job.

Then there’s other equipment, tripods, flashes, lighting...it never ends.

Did I mention it all depends on your budget? Yea, I know I did, it’s most likely your biggest hurdle. Just like reefing, high end to low end gear will provide different results. But skill can overcome many obstacles.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a Pro photographer. Over the last thirty seven years, I have used nearly every brand of camera. I have shot images with a $35,000 Hasselblad, used an Iphone and back to a DJI Drone. The Camera brand really doesn’t matter. I’m going to be 100% honest all of the brands of today will do a fine job. You need to select your equipment based on what you plan to do with it and your budget.
Figure out what YOU are going to shoot and then ask what features you need and want. How much do you want to be involved in the capturing of the image? Are you wanting to learn the art of photography or just want to take pictures? Only you can answer these questions. No one can do it for you.

Sony, Fuji, Canon, Nikon, Leica, Hasselbad are all great camera brands. Olympus, and Pentax also are good. You can buy a kit at the box store, or camera store. Go try out the cameras, find what fits your hands, good ergonomics are a big factor for me. Best thing I can say, figure out what you want to do and learn, then find what works in your budget.

Lenses are an entirely different ball of wax. You can spend a fortune on them and still find your missing the one you need for the next job. I have rented many specialty lenses for particular jobs. My main lenses I take to every job are 16-35, 28-70, 70-200 all are f2.8. I’ll bring others depending on the job.

Then there’s other equipment, tripods, flashes, lighting...it never ends.

Did I mention it all depends on your budget? Yea, I know I did, it’s most likely your biggest hurdle. Just like reefing, high end to low end gear will provide different results. But skill can overcome many obstacles.
Great info, thanks. Yes knowledge is key, and I'm quickly learning. But as black friday approaches I want to snag something during this time. Thanks again for your insight

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 14 21.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 8 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 35 54.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 7.8%
Back