Can’t grow coraline

flat6guy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey all. I started my tank in December with dry rock live sand. Started cycle with a cocktail shrimp. Tested and verified the cycle happened. Added 3 fish and clean up crew since January. Tank had a dinos spurt and has some brown fuzzy algae growing on my rock work. I see zero signs of coraline growth. Snails have some on their shells along with some small spots on frag plugs.

My tank is an all in one fluval edge 24g. Light is ati 24. Water circulation is from mp10 set to reef crest. Water changes happen every week like clock work; 4 gals. Alkalinity is 8.9. Calcium 440. Mag 1400. Zero ammonia, nitrite, nitrate is barely detectable with api test kit. I know I need a better one. Ph 8.1. Temp 77. Lights are on 11 hours with a total ramp up and down to zero for 3 hours.

I see zero coraline growth. My two small cheap birds nest frags have lost most of the colors. Polyps are out but not as full as I’d like to see. I feed my fish pellets every other day and only what they can consume in 2 mins. Could use some advice. I know the tank is young. I’m looking for something more than your tank is to young for sps.

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh hey! I had this problem too. For me in particular it was due to not having proper lighting. However, you have a good light and I did not. How high is your output and how high is the light off of the tank?

Acroporaaddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank has had water in it for 7 days, already starting to get coralline on the bottom. I'm sure it came from my vortechs that were in my previous system and totally covered in it. I'd get your nutrients up a little. I've found coralline stops growing the same way corals do with low nutrients. I run .03 po4 and 5ppm no3
20190409_145336.jpg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plants need nutrients, just like corals. Nitrates and phosphates are needed.
And Iron.

To seed the coralline, scrape the coralline off the snail shell into the reef. If you have nutrients and good light the coralline should grow. If you need more seed, get a piece of encrusted live rock from a clean tank and scrape that the same way.

bigdrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been running since early February. No signs of coralline for me either. Like you, my nutrient levels seem to be around 0 all of the time, especially Nitrate. I have read that this has to be up around 5, along with some detectable level of phosphate, to get coralline really started...

OP
OP
flat6guy

flat6guy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8C42AFC5-8C6A-4B81-9262-729A64E9A9E3.png
Well I forgot to mention that I have a refugium plumbed in too. Honestly it’s pretty useless at this time as the chaeto has died. It’s now just growing some nusicance algae. I’m guessing I should just turn that off for the time being unti I see algae growing in my display tank.

My light is an Aqua illumination hydra 26 that is suspended 12” above the tank. I’ve attached my lighting schedule and specs. This is a copy of from my local fish store. Same place I’ve got the sps frags. All of his corals are fairly colorful compared to mine. My water parameters are pretty much identical except the P04 and No3.

I had a hunch these parematers could be my issue. So how do I raise my nutrient levels without over doing it? I don’t want a tank full of nuisance algae. It was one reason I gave up 6 years ago.

I appreciate all the responses.

DarkSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nuisance algae is just part of a new tank. Everyone experiences it, and it isn't a bad thing. Get some herbivores to help you deal with it - snails, emerald crabs, lawnmower blennies, and tangs all do great work to keep it in check. If your corals are fading and you can't grow coraline algae, you are most likely underfeeding.

When you start to increase your feeding you're going to get uglies until your tank can handle the excess in a way you want - via coral consumption. Just stick with it and you'll get that purple tank. :)

MattJS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t worry. You’ll see it soon enough. Doing water changes every week like you are, lights not being too bright, and feeding enough to have a little nutrients in the tank seems like the key to everything.

MattJS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and just in my opinion I’d keep the refugium going. Doesn’t matter whether the algae is in your tank or the refugium. Nuisance algae getting happy for a little bit is all part of the cycle.
And I use AI lights too. The 52hd, and the only trouble I had is what the heck do you set the light schedule to. How long, what intensity, what percentages for the channels..
I started hearing about ecotechs AB+ schedule a lot. They put a ton of time into it. Got growth that was pretty shocking with it.
Bulk Reef Supply did a video showing how to set up your AI light to the same schedule and the spectrum that matches AB+ the closest. Find it pretty quick if you google it. Thought it was neat, so just thought I’d share in case you had the same questions I did with setting up the light.

OP
OP
flat6guy

flat6guy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will google that when I can't sleep tonight mattjs, and thanks for all the feedback on the questions I have.

So I have a question pertaining to feeding. Is it the uneaten food that make nitrates or just fish poo?

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will google that when I can't sleep tonight mattjs, and thanks for all the feedback on the questions I have.

So I have a question pertaining to feeding. Is it the uneaten food that make nitrates or just fish poo?
Yes. haha.

Both break down resulting in ammonia, then nitrite, then nitrate.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Patience is probably all that is needed. Get a few astrea snails that are covered in coralline. You need to introduce it.

Coralline will be grow inhibited by nitrate and phosphate that are too high - natural seawater levels will grow coralline faster. ...not that this is an issue since once you get it, you will hate it soon enough... kinda like how you are excited when your kids learn to talk and then just wish that they would shut up sometimes.

OP
OP
flat6guy

flat6guy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
kinda like how you are excited when your kids learn to talk and then just wish that they would shut up sometimes.

The two things I regret about my kids the most: teaching them how to speak and walk. I've spent most every minute since telling them to sit down and shut up! Difficult task when you have 4 daughters.....

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found over the years that steady dosing of calcium and patience gets the job done.
one anecdotal example of the above. I was seeing very, very limited coraline growth and no noticeable calcium consumption. Started dosing just a smidge (maybe 1/4 tspn - gallon) of Kalk and now I can see the coraline beginning to establish. Also, my calc levels aren't increasing, despite the dosing.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 36 28.3%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 61 48.0%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 14.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back