Can 4 clowns be in the same reef tank?

  • Thread starter Thread starter CyberGuy
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

CyberGuy

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 14, 2011
Messages
422
Reaction score
245
Location
San Diego, CA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I have a pair of Black Storm clowns, can I put another different type of clowns like a pair of exotic Picasso clown pair that is larger than the black storm clown pair?
I have a 75 Gallon mixed reef tank.
 
Last edited:
In what size tank?
 
I had a mated pair of common ocellaris clowns in a 300gal reef and added a pair of true perculas. Did not work. The newbies were dead by the time I got home from work the next day. If one set is already established, it's difficult to add new ones...if they've bred, it's even worse.
 
As mentioned definitely not. Clowns do best as singles or a single pair.
 
So unless I like MMA, 4 clowns in a tank is a no no.

Yeah, I do not want to lose my precious black storm clown pair.

I also recommend not adding both pairs to the same tank. The good news is that you can use it as an excuse to add another tank! :)
 
Can you? Yes. Should you? No.

Having more than a pair will end up requiring quite a bit of observation and work on your part. Looong term. And in the end you may still end up with dead animals due to the fighting.

Clownfish don't need a lot of space, but the space they do need, should to be comfortable. And having more clowns will just be unnecessary stress for them.
 
You can do it if you have multiple nems around the tank and feed often in different areas so that territory and food are not the factors for fighting. A lot more work on your part and not a guarantee. Easier if they look the same too.
 
My 93 cube has 8 and larger tank has 7
 
In large tank- grew them up and cube tank I had three then added one here, one there. Through aggression, one got killed in large tank a few months back
 
as juveniles they are fine. They fight really bad after pairing up. I ended up splitting the two pairs.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 23.8%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new