Can a .5 Degree Temperature Swing Cause STN?!

Will a .5 degree temperature swing cause STN?

• Yes always

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Maybe

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • No, never, this is silly

Votes: 89 93.7%

• Total voters

AngryOwl

Angry
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw a video recently where it was said that a .5 degree temperature change can cause STN. It was not an accident, it was very clear and defended later in the comments. Just wondering everyone's opinion on if this is true? Another item mentioned was a .5dkh swing, which makes more sense for super sensitive corals, but what about overall? Is it really a big deal?

Holistically listening to this, is there such a thing as keeping your tank "too stable"... in such that your tank cannot adjust to otherwise minor changes?

Video linked:

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems highly unlikely to me. I suppose it’s possible that if a coral were so stressed and close to death, even a nominal swing might be the straw ..... but, again, seems unlikely. My tank bounces between 79.3 and 79.9 F hourly with no problem. A 0.5 DKH swing is unusual but not unprecedented.

OP
OP
AngryOwl

AngryOwl

Angry
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you expect from igits on YouTube?
Well I'm and igit... and I'm on YouTube... so this comment tracks well ;Hilarious

Seems highly unlikely to me. I suppose it’s possible that if a coral were so stressed and close to death, even a nominal swing might be the straw ..... but, again, seems unlikely. My tank bounces between 79.3 and 79.9 F hourly with no problem. A 0.5 DKH swing is unusual but not unprecedented.
Yea I would agree with that.

My tank would have failed years ago. Thanks birdie for bringing this to my attention.
Good to know! Welcome to Reef2Reef buddy!

Do you guys think its possible to keep your tank "too stable"?

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suppose if your tank was at the lower/upper limit of what a coral could survive in, an extra half a degree could make the difference but if it were in a normal operating range, no.

I'm about halfway through the video now and noticed he mentions elevated nitrates (outside his norm) and that the underside of the affected acropora had been paling out over time since it was placed there. The first places I'd look as causal factors would be light availability and flow at that location.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AngryOwl

AngryOwl

Angry
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suppose if your tank was at the lower/upper limit of what a coral could survive in, an extra half a degree could make the difference but if it were in a normal operating range, no.

I'm about halfway through the video now and noticed he mentions elevated nitrates (outside his norm) and that the underside of the affected acropora had been paling out over time since it was placed there. The first places I'd look as causal factors would be light availability and flow at that location.
I think there are some good points but other's seem to be reaching. I'd debate on nutrients being an issue or not - my tank is currently running at 50ppm NO3 and 1.2ppm Phosphate (working to bring it down) - but no current STN is seen and it's been running that way high for a few weeks now... that and my 1.5 degree temperature swing :p

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only brought it up to illustrate 3 potential areas being out of whack simultaneously but a single item is being ruled the causal factor. He talks about looking at everything holistically but focused on one thing.

OP
OP
AngryOwl

AngryOwl

Angry
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only brought it up to illustrate 3 potential areas being out of whack simultaneously but a single item is being ruled the causal factor. He talks about looking at everything holistically but focused on one thing.
Good point. If many of these items are out of balance then it would make more sense - but I think it was given off as these individual things can be the sole cause, which it appears we both disagree here.

Kevin Kamphuis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd have to say keeping a tank at a 0.5 deg f swing daily is next to impossible. Not to mention the swing of a heater is 1 or more for the most part... BRS did a good video on heaters a while back. Just saying

OP
OP
AngryOwl

AngryOwl

Angry
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd have to say keeping a tank at a 0.5 deg f swing daily is next to impossible. Not to mention the swing of a heater is 1 or more for the most part... BRS did a good video on heaters a while back. Just saying
Someone in the comments asked how and he said if he can do it, so can they. It just seems like a fine line and unnecessary power cycles of equipment.

JustPoprocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you can keep it perfectly stable it’s good. But if you acclimate the animals to a system that has ups and downs stability has a little more give. My system isn’t prefect at all
Have 2-3 degree temperatures swings daily nitrates go from 20-70ppm, and so on. It’s just about what stable means to you and what you are going for

OP
OP
AngryOwl

AngryOwl

Angry
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you can keep it perfectly stable it’s good. But if you acclimate the animals to a system that has ups and downs stability has a little more give. My system isn’t prefect at all
Have 2-3 degree temperatures swings daily nitrates go from 20-70ppm, and so on. It’s just about what stable means to you and what you are going for
Good point - and you're saying with those swings or your "stable" you haven't had any major issues?

I think another good point on this topic is buying corals...

Sometimes they come from, or are going to, tanks of extreme parameter swings. This ranges the full range of parameters, nutrients (NO3/PO4), Alk, Calc, Mag, lighting intensity/type, salinity(in some cases), temperature, trace elements even, heck, lets even add the stress of dipping. All of these changes happen within a matter of hours if you buy local and a day if you buy online. You could buy from a system running 77 degrees and 7.5dkh... but your system runs at 80 and 9.0dkh. Plenty of people have success adding corals.. so how can we attribute this causation, even when combined with other swings? No matter your acclimation method these are all quick changes and if this were true, we'd have a really difficult time receiving new corals...

JustPoprocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly, my stable is daily/monthly swings, I have some coral that just doesn’t make it, lights, shipping, or others reason. I do know if they make it through the first month they’ll have no problem long term. That’s just been my style for the last 10 years. I’m currently at 75ppm nitrates and everything is happy, just because they were acclimated to it.

OP
OP
AngryOwl

AngryOwl

Angry
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly, my stable is daily/monthly swings, I have some coral that just doesn’t make it, lights, shipping, or others reason. I do know if they make it through the first month they’ll have no problem long term. That’s just been my style for the last 10 years. I’m currently at 75ppm nitrates and everything is happy, just because they were acclimated to it.
Have you added anything recently that appeared to struggle or die shortly after entry?

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my insight on Travis's video is that it could have been thin tissue due to lack of light and this became a weak spot for STN to start. Of course, this is just a guess.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back