Can a blue tang fit in this tank ?

JJSins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the waterbox 105.4 frag tank ( 47.2"×23.6"×16.1" )
Would a blue tang fit in this tag, and probably more ?

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't try it. Might be OK when it's young, but after a while it'll feel cramped and turn into a jerk.

For a tank that size I'd stick with the bristletooth family of tangs (Ctenochaetus).

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, if you are willing to rehome it in a year, then yes, but it will outgrow the tank. They grow pretty big. For that size tank, you can get any bristletooth tang and some Acanthurus tangs, but that list is narrowed down as they will swim A LOT, thus a bigger tank. For the Acanthurus you could go with a Powder Blue, Powder Brown, and Gold Rim tang. You could also look at a few Zebrasoma tangs. Lets say a Yellow or Purple tang.

I had a Lt tang, Gold Rim tang, and a Tomini tang in my 120, before I upgraded. I had the LT tang in the tank for roughly 1.5 years, but it was getting to a point where I knew I would have to rehome it.

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the waterbox 105.4 frag tank ( 47.2"×23.6"×16.1" )
Would a blue tang fit in this tag, and probably more ?
No. From most acceptable to least would be Tomini, Kole, Yellow, Purple. Anything bigger is a real no go.

OP
OP
JJSins

JJSins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, if you are willing to rehome it in a year, then yes, but it will outgrow the tank. They grow pretty big. For that size tank, you can get any bristletooth tang and some Acanthurus tangs, but that list is narrowed down as they will swim A LOT, thus a bigger tank. For the Acanthurus you could go with a Powder Blue, Powder Brown, and Gold Rim tang. You could also look at a few Zebrasoma tangs. Lets say a Yellow or Purple tang.

I had a Lt tang, Gold Rim tang, and a Tomini tang in my 120, before I upgraded. I had the LT tang in the tank for roughly 1.5 years, but it was getting to a point where I knew I would have to rehome it.
What about ( 72.3"×25.3"×23.6" ) 220.6 Gallon overall / 167 gals display ?

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At that size, the possibilities open up GREATLY. You would probably be fine with the Blue tang.

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the "bristletooth" and yellow/purple ideas. The blue and any acanthus are a bad idea in my opinion.

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blues get really big and I'd argue that's still a bit small but the reality is many people have blues in similar sizes to that. Many people also have ich and early death with Blues to though.

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As someone else stated, most tangs with few exceptions need 72” of length to stretch their legs. Most tangs will outgrow most tanks

Kole tangs are a great “easy” tang that loves algae and doesn’t seem to go stir crazy in shorter tanks.

The goal isn’t surviving, it’s thriving. Keep that in mind when buying fish (or at least keep keeping it in mind in mind).

desagon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue tangs get mean when they get bigger. I know someone who has a 180 and any corals he adds to the tank get thrown around by the big blue. Granted, the tang is 10 years old and I’m sure it’s tired of the tank

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8 ft or bigger would be at least 8k for a setup huh ?
Blues are right on that ragged edge of fish that really should be kept in the ocean despite their popularity, much like bat fish, snappers and groupers.

You can get it and keep it in a 220g and it might be okay and you won't be the first or last to do it. It might not be okay though, it might stress and get sick or go on a war path.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back