Can a Canister Become a biological filter???

TinyTinCans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small evo13.5 nano I’ve been running for over a year. I have been using ozone and it has been okay. It’s just the small protein skimmers don’t seem to be that effective as a reaction chamber.

So while looking at my fish-less tank I was think I wish I could add some additional brightwell blocks to this thing. (like on the 150 that I’m currently gathering gear for.) That’s when I had the dumb idea or maybe not.

Could I take an external canister that has UV fill it with bio blocks. Have its inlet draw after the filter sock. My initial thought is this would become a huge problem unless I cleaned it a couple times a month. Regardless of the bio blocks. But I could be wrong. Wondering if anyone has ever tried something like this before.

I’m sure everyone is just going to say just add some blocks to the back and call it good but this doesn’t address me wanting to go with UV over ozone.

I’m just wondering if it’s as bad as an idea as it sounds. Or if anyone has tried something like this before.

(Currently my fish are out of the tank because I chose to do the lazy QT and only watched the fish for 10days before adding. Well sure enough a day later. Ich showed up on the new fish thought it could be velvet but nope just ich. Thank goodness! So, my fish are out one in a hospital and the others in QT for the next 80days or so.)

Last edited:

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have a small evo13.5 nano I’ve been running for over a year. I have been using ozone and it has been okay. It’s just the small protein skimmers don’t seem to be that effective as a reaction chamber.

So while looking at my fish-less tank I was think I wish I could add some additional brightwell blocks to this thing. (like on the 150 that I’m currently gathering gear for.) That’s when I had the dumb idea or maybe not.

Could I take an external canister that has UV fill it with bio blocks. Have its inlet draw after the filter sock. My initial thought is this would become a huge problem unless I cleaned it a couple times a month. Regardless of the bio blocks. But I could be wrong. Wondering if anyone has ever tried something like this before.

I’m sure everyone is just going to say just add some blocks to the back and call it good but this doesn’t address me wanting to go with UV over ozone.

I’m just wondering if it’s as bad as an idea as it sounds. Or if anyone has tried something like this before.

(Currently my fish are out of the tank because I chose to do the lazy QT and only watched the fish for 10days before adding. Well sure enough a day later. Ich showed up on the new fish thought it could be velvet but nope just ich. Thank goodness! So, my fish are out one in a hospital and the others in QT for the next 80days or so.)
It would work. The bio blocks would act similar to any of the ceramic media you would normally put in the canister and would be a place for bate is to grow and flourish.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back