Can a canister filter attach to bottom bulkhead?

holdthecoffee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I decided to try out a canister filter for the first time and actually really like it (saw a guy on youtube name mikeymikemike do it with a lot of success).

It siphons water via pipes on the side of my tank, but I was wondering if I could connect my canister filter to bulkheads located on the bottom of the tank for aesthetic reasons. I'm not sure it could handle the water pressure and not leak/burst, but was wondering if anyone else has ever done it. I did a quick google search and just found one guy on reddit claiming he was able to do it but I'm not sure the size of his tank or volume.

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you can use it with a bulkhead. I do it with freshwater tanks. The pressure is no greater than if you go over the top. Strictly a function of the elevation difference between the top of the cannister and the water level in the tank.

OP
OP
H

holdthecoffee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi DCR, do you attach them to bulkheads located on the bottom of your tank or the side of your tank? And how many gallons is your tank?

I understand if I attach them to bulkheads located on the sides of the aquarium the pressure difference wouldn't matter too much and would be similar with my current setup, but if I attach the hose to bulkheads located on the bottom of my tank, wouldn't the pressure be a lot higher, since pressure is dependent on depth.

slythy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi DCR, do you attach them to bulkheads located on the bottom of your tank or the side of your tank? And how many gallons is your tank?

I understand if I attach them to bulkheads located on the sides of the aquarium the pressure difference wouldn't matter too much and would be similar with my current setup, but if I attach the hose to bulkheads located on the bottom of my tank, wouldn't the pressure be a lot higher, since pressure is dependent on depth.
Pressure of water isnt huge in the tank you will be fine. Its a sealed system its not like its going to be like it wants to rush down it and break it. The pressure of water out of the pump is probably higher.

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have a 180 with the bulkhead on the bottom of the tank using an Eheim 2262 cannister. I have sponge prefilters over the inlet strainer inside the tank. I also have a 1" ball valve for a shut-off valve at the bulkhead in addition to the double tap valves at the filter. The bulkhead will see higher pressure on the bottom of the tank versus the side, but not the cannister filter since the depth is the same in either case. the biggest problem I have had is that occasionally the strainer (screen) can get pulled out of the bulkhead when removing the sponge for cleaning and allow gravel to get pulled into the filter and get trapped in the double tap on the inlet

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it would work. .
But you would need some type of gate valve or ball valve for maintenance .

If you have room under where the canister is . Why not just do a sump and return pump ?

OP
OP
H

holdthecoffee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it would work. .
But you would need some type of gate valve or ball valve for maintenance .

If you have room under where the canister is . Why not just do a sump and return pump ?
trying to avoid the overflow box to be honest for aesthetic reasons.

OP
OP
H

holdthecoffee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bare bottom tank.

Bottom tank strainer - > Bulkhead -> canister filter -> cheato reactor -> bulkhead -> tank

I'm also thinking an additional two closed loops w/ ecotech vectra pumps. But that seems like a lot of potential leaks now and a lot of holes on the bottom of the tank (definitely will do a PVC bottom tank).

I could potential just T off a part of the closed loop into the canister filter and cheato reactor.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back