Can a Clownfish handle high flow?

Steverd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I increased the flow in my Fusion Lagoon 25 frag tank with an Icecap 1k Gyre (see image).
I think the flow increased a TON even at 10%.
Is it my imagination that the two clownfish are swimming more? Faster? harder?
Should I be worried, or do clownfish love high flow?
THOUGHTS?

clown1.jpg

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard to tell by the pic on the flow your talking about. 10% on ours doesn't move much. Are you using a constant, variable or gyre action? Constant seems to blast our nems.

OP
OP
Steverd

Steverd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard to tell by the pic on the flow your talking about. 10% on ours doesn't move much. Are you using a constant, variable or gyre action? Constant seems to blast our nems.

It's set for a 10% constant flow, 24hrs a day. Flow pointing to the front surface.
Plus the pump in the sump has two random flow nozzles, it's a Jecod DCS-2000 nano DC pump at 50%.

Would you leave it on Constant?
Or would Pulsing, Gradual Pulsing, Random mode be better?

Thoughts?

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's set for a 10% constant flow, 24hrs a day. Flow pointing to the front surface.
Plus the pump in the sump has two random flow nozzles, it's a Jecod DCS-2000 nano DC pump at 50%.

Would you leave it on Constant?
Or would Pulsing, Gradual Pulsing, Random mode be better?

Thoughts?
I messed with mine for days before I set the gyre to ramp up to to 50%. It sounds like alot but it works in our tank due to our scape and shape and the tank. The alternating gyre mode seems to not beat up our nems and provides a friendlier flow in the tank.

Gray

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly the way I look at it the, these fish (Clownfish in general) naturally deal with the oceans currents. So pretty much anything you corals can handle your fish will be perfectly fine.

Ocdreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with that last comment to a point but the natural ocean currents ebb and flow, so in that sense if they are in a constant non stop heavy flow that's not really natural to them. I find that constant flow for a little while is ok but 24/7 is too much and imo causes stress. Reef Crest mode on my tank's mp40's which mimics the ebb and flow of a chaotic intertidal zone works great to keep the corals (especially sps corals) and the fish happy and provides plenty of flow for them while every once in a while cranking it to constant for some extra nutrient export really does the trick.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns aren’t big fans of high flow but they’ll often just avoid high flow areas in the tank.

OP
OP
Steverd

Steverd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with that last comment to a point but the natural ocean currents ebb and flow, so in that sense if they are in a constant non stop heavy flow that's not really natural to them. I find that constant flow for a little while is ok but 24/7 is too much and imo causes stress. Reef Crest mode on my tank's mp40's works great to keep the corals and the fish happy and provides plenty of flow for the corals while every once in a while cranking it to constant for some extra nutrient export really does the trick.

I don't think the Icecap 1K Gyre has a Reef Crest code does it?
But it has a nice user mode. How about something with a start and stop.
Stop 0% for 2 seconds
on at 10% for 2 seconds
REPEAT.

Pretty basic, but what do you think?

Ocdreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good. Just keep an eye on it and you'll get a pretty good sense of whether that's the right percentage and timing interval based on how your fish and coral are reacting.

Ocdreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think the Icecap 1K Gyre has a Reef Crest code does it?
But it has a nice user mode. How about something with a start and stop.
Stop 0% for 2 seconds
on at 10% for 2 seconds
REPEAT.

Pretty basic, but what do you think?

Actually taking a closer look at it now I would maybe start with on for more like 5-6 seconds, off for 2 seconds, repeat. Just to get a little better flow through. Just my .02 :)

OP
OP
Steverd

Steverd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually taking a closer look at it now I would maybe start with on for more like 5-6 seconds, off for 2 seconds, repeat. Just to get a little better flow through. Just my .02 :)

Ooh, I like your program better. I just made this switch - Thank you.
I just know my frags where not getting enough flow and feel this is the solution.
Steve

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back