Can a Fish-Only tank be "too" clean???

  • Thread starter Thread starter btkrausen
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Joined
Feb 16, 2008
Messages
4,835
Reaction score
103
Location
Bardstown, KY
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always read about people being careful with carbon/GFO on a reef for obvious reasons, but in your opinion can a fish-only tank be too clean?
 
With a reef, definitely, but I don't think that you could really have that problem with a Fish only tank. Great question though... interested to see what everyone else thinks?
 
What are the obvious reasons? I've heard about GFO and ALK, but nothing else regarding carbon/GFO.

I've also heard the possible issue of GAC dust and HLLE.

All that said, I think, generally speaking, nutrient levels in FO tanks are massive compared to a reef. GL keeping it too clean :D
 
Ya I dont think you can ever have it too clean. Just not possible if its a good sized tank.
 
What are the obvious reasons? I've heard about GFO and ALK, but nothing else regarding carbon/GFO.

I've also heard the possible issue of GAC dust and HLLE.

All that said, I think, generally speaking, nutrient levels in FO tanks are massive compared to a reef. GL keeping it too clean :D

I meant that you can change levels too fast or be too clean therefore affecting corals with carbon and GFO. With FO it shouldn't be an issue dropping nutrients down as low as possible.
 
interesting
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 3 5.4%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 25.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 14 25.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 16.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 14.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 3 5.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new