Can A Kessil H80 Function as a Lighting Source for Reef Tanks?

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a tank whose depth is 16 inches. I measure the spread of a Kessil H80 to have a spread of 21 inches with the H80 mounted 3 inches above the water line.

Presently, the H80 is installed as supplemental lighting. But I love the look and the light penetration visible to the naked eye.

So I'm thinking of ways in which I can use this light.

Options:

1. Install 2 H80 in conjunction with the currently installed IC LOOP system as supplemental lighting.

2. Install 4 H80 across the entire tank and eliminate the IC LOOP system.

When I purchased the H80 I currently own, it was labeled as a refugium light on the BRS website. Can it be used with others as a light source?

Thank you,
Dom

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Not really
Offers insufficient PAR for most coral and hence intended for refugium (small area)
If this were a 2 gallon tank- yes would be the answer

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The A80 has the color we usually use in our salt tanks. The H80 is more of a fuge or freshwater light. Either way, they are only 15 watts. Could work, I suppose, on a very small tank, or if you used several. There are probably better ways, but if you like it, why not?

Mr Fishface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you like the look, check out the other kessil products. Getting two of the H80 would cost roughly the same as a single A160. Those have a bit more power to them. I have the older a360we lights and I really like them too.

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank is deeper than the previous one. The real issue is that my Nems aren't getting enough light.

I don't mind changing the lighting system completely. And as much as I like the functionality of the IC LOOP, it's terribly under powered.

So I'm a bit conflicted. I feel like supplementing the IC LOOP might be throwing good money after bad. And when I saw how the H80 penetrated the depth of the tank, I concluded there must be some real good PAR there.

@vetteguy53081, @nereefpat, @Mr Fishface - What lights are you guys running?

Mr Fishface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank is deeper than the previous one. The real issue is that my Nems aren't getting enough light.

I don't mind changing the lighting system completely. And as much as I like the functionality of the IC LOOP, it's terribly under powered.

So I'm a bit conflicted. I feel like supplementing the IC LOOP might be throwing good money after bad. And when I saw how the H80 penetrated the depth of the tank, I concluded there must be some real good PAR there.

Well on my 125 before I had to take things down for a while, I had two kessil a360we on the ends and a 4' 4 bulb T5 light. I loved the shimmer of the kessil and how the T5 just distributed the light in the whole tank. Was a very beautiful combo.

I did use a metal halide before, also very nice but did get hot. The light seemed to spill out of the tank the most I think. I've also used other led lights and they did good with colors but for me, kessil has looked the best since the metal halide. I'd recommend a kessil T5 combo any day :)

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Our eyes are a very poor measurement of par and if the tank is actually getting what it needs. They make really bright lights that would not be reef capable. These H80/A80's are not very powerful and really meant for pico type spaces.

If you like the look, you could buy a bigger kessil.

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our eyes are a very poor measurement of par and if the tank is actually getting what it needs. They make really bright lights that would not be reef capable. These H80/A80's are not very powerful and really meant for pico type spaces.

If you like the look, you could buy a bigger kessil.

Yes... I'm looking at the AP9X right now.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the tank is 16" deep, subtract the sand bed, subtract that to the overflow grate you're not filling the tank to the top; possible the corals are raised on a rock... what is the true amount of water that needs to be penetrated? I guess ultimately it depends on the needs of the particular corals, but I'm trying to help you make it work in your mind. lol. :cool:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the tank is 16" deep, subtract the sand bed, subtract that to the overflow grate you're not filling the tank to the top; possible the corals are raised on a rock... what is the true amount of water that needs to be penetrated? I guess ultimately is depends on the needs of the particular corals, but I'm trying to help you make it work in your mind. lol. :cool:

Pondering a plunge on a AP9X

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the tank's dimensions? Did I miss it?

Good question.

I did mention that the tank is 16" deep. Its dimensions are: 48" wide x 12" x 16" deep.

This is an Aqueon tank with a center brace. The brace is black and will cast a shadow if I don't position the lights strategically.

The lights presently installed are the Current-USA IC LOOP PRO. It is (2) 24" lights that provide a total of 74 watts. I have two installed for a total of (4) lights giving me a total of 148 watts of power, wish is a bit over 50 watts short of the "5 watts per gallon" rule.

The AP9X is a nice light. It will provide the power I need and with the light configured with the LED assembly at the ends of the fixture, it can be placed over the center brace and not obstruct the LED assemblies.

As an alternative, I am considering the A360X Tuna Blue. This will offer much greater flexibility with positioning. And in the end, they both cost about the same when you include mounting hardware.

I am getting about 3500 lumens at the bottom of the tank (sorry, I have a LUX meter, not a PAR meter). This is about half of my minimum LUX goal. So I would have to have double the number of fixtures on the tank to get to my 7k-10k lumen range, and is why I am conflicted about supplementing the existing lights as opposed to buying something completely new.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 21 16.8%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 53 42.4%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 17 13.6%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.8%
Back