Can a lower Alk water change cause flashing?

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a 20% water change yesterday with TM Pro Reef that I forgot to buffer ahead of time. My tank’s alkalinity dropped from 7.9 yesterday to 7.3 today. It’s normally 8. This morning I noticed two of my fish flashing a little bit, but they were quarantined and have no signs of ich or disease in general. I’m tempted to point the finger at the drop in alkalinity, but wanted to consult others who may have experienced something similar. Can the water change with lower alk water cause flashing in your fish?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree I don't think this can be the cause. I also do not see how a 20% water change could cause this alk drop.

A 20% change with 7 dKH water in an 8 dKH tank would only drop alk to 7.8 dKH.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, that won't affect anything. Mine fluctuates much more than that everyday. Maybe every hour. :cool:

OP
OP
cshouston

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, that won't affect anything. Mine fluctuates much more than that everyday. Maybe every hour. :cool:
Thank you! I looked at my tank log and noticed that the pH the day before was 8 because my CO2 scrubber media needed to be replaced. After the water change, and media change, it jumped to nearly 8.4 so I’m beginning to suspect the change in pH may have irritated them. The flashing stopped though, so that’s good!

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 143 40.5%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 178 50.4%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 32 9.1%
Back