Can a new tank be successful with Acros?

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you use all the old sand, all the old live rock, all the old water and don’t overstock it with fish right away and old lights it’s very doable. I did it 4 years ago with no issues at all, just had to add around 40 gallons of new water as I moved to a bigger tank. By using all the old established stuff I skipped any type of cycle and corals Andy fish were acclimated to the new system instantly as everything survived with no regression.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Reef_in_Denver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the feedback. All very helpful.

I'll slow my roll somewhat and see what kind of additional natural filtration I can potentially add to the tank.

Llebcire

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the hands-in tank thing is a myth. Just scrub them with hot tap water (no soap). I put my hands in my 7g acropora nano almost every other day. No ill effects.

Yes and no - you just mentioned the key to success!

I've talked with many newer reefers over the years with tank issues and when we discuss this they realize they're using soap and not rinsing thoroughly, or have hand lotion or other contaminants on them when they reach into the tank.

-Eric

NanoDJS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely !! One of the best acro only tanks I have ever seen is only 1 year old now and grown in practically they started fresh with everything except the live rock ( it was mature) cycled sump rock.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 33.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back