Can a rock flower anemone survive an h2o2 dip?

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a rock that may need a 50% h2o2 dip. Would a rock flower anemone survive that? Or how about being sprayed with it and wiped off as much as possible with rinsing after 3 minutes? It's living in a hole and would be very difficult to get out.

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not do it! Anemones (along with other inverts) are not supposed to be dipped, especially in hydrogen peroxide.

If you have something going on with your rock flower, you should only dip it in Lugol’s solution. What exactly is the issue your RFA is having?

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not do it! Anemones (along with other inverts) are not supposed to be dipped, especially in hydrogen peroxide.

If you have something going on with your rock flower, you should only dip it in Lugol’s solution. What exactly is the issue your RFA is having?
I think the issue is with the rock that the anemone is attached to, not the anemone itself

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
They dont tolerate any liquids well as they absorb everything liquid. Place an ice cube at its foot- not directly on the anemone and they wil release. If youre not cmfortable- Dont do it.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a rock that may need a 50% h2o2 dip. Would a rock flower anemone survive that? Or how about being sprayed with it and wiped off as much as possible with rinsing after 3 minutes? It's living in a hole and would be very difficult to get out.
Make yourself one of these. It will easily remove the RFA, and you can put it back where you want once the rock is cleaned.

You can find more information about them and how best to use it in the sticky by @Eagle_Steve in the clownfish and anenome forum

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s in a hole how about a cup. Attach to rock upside down. Leave a small hole that it can’t fit through for a tiny bit of light. Cup blocks light but RFA should climb in the cup towards the small hole of light

my BTA I I hold them upside down over the water until they drop. Takes 30 minutes to an hour

OP
OP
Just John

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help everyone! I thought I couldn't do it, but I was hoping to hear otherwise. The main issue is that I have some bryopsis that was easy enough to remove from the rock, but it is in multiple colonies of zoas and I can't get it out. The colonies cant be removed from the rock. Reef Flux didn't get it out, so It would save me a lot of effort if I just dipped it. If I can't get it out, I may spray most of the rock and paint brush some on around the anemone.

Isla_Nut

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, if you can't dip anemones, does that mean if I dip my Zoa with an aptasia on it in hydrogen peroxide it might kill it?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back