Rock flower anemones

Benji k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are rock flower anemones easy to care for and do they move around like other anemones because I don’t want them stinging other corals or would it just be easier to go for bubble tips. And can I see some picks of anemones thanks.

DD Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would say they are not hard to take care of. Just make sure they don’t get a bunch of flow and the correct lighting. Once they find a spot they normally stay there at least for me anyways.

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are rock flower anemones easy to care for and do they move around like other anemones because I don’t want them stinging other corals or would it just be easier to go for bubble tips. And can I see some picks of anemones thanks.
Not super hard to keep and don’t move much.

Here is one of my bubble tips

IMG_1987.jpeg

OP
OP
Benji k

Benji k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they are easy to care for in an established tank and they move less than other ones. They find their happy place and once they do usually it’s permanent.
Do they usually sit like the rock or sand and are ther as easy to care for as bta

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do they usually sit like the rock or sand and are ther as easy to care for as bta
They do both and I would say easier. They are one of the easiest and most hardy anemones since they don’t usually go wandering and can tolerate parameter swings easier than others. I’ve seen some like rock and other ones like to bury themselves or sit in the sand.

OP
OP
Benji k

Benji k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do both and I would say easier. They are one of the easiest and most hardy anemones since they don’t usually go wandering and can tolerate parameter swings easier than others. I’ve seen some like rock and other ones like to bury themselves or sit in the sand.
I’ll probably sit them in the sand so clown fish host them

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they are much easier than BTAs. Even when they do go roaming I rarely worry about them. Their sting is so mild I've seen other corals beat them up. To me, they have one of the best cost-benefit ratios: great colors, easy upkeep and relatively cheap.

OP
OP
Benji k

Benji k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they are much easier than BTAs. Even when they do go roaming I rarely worry about them. Their sting is so mild I've seen other corals beat them up. To me, they have one of the best cost-benefit ratios: great colors, easy upkeep and relatively cheap.
What do you think about carpet anemones

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carpet anemones are very cool if you don't mind the fact that they may eat any of your fish at a moment's notice. Very cool animals and I wouldn't belittle them, but they are not for most tanks, and not every clown will host in every species. They also need more light than BTAs or RFAs.

As for rock flower placement, mine have always liked living in the sand but attached to the rock, so around the base of rockwork in the sand or in the sand directly if it's shallow. They have the potential to eat fish too, but it's rare it happens even with small ones, in my experience they like less light and flow than BTAs, and will stick to shaded areas of moderate to heavily lit tanks.

OP
OP
Benji k

Benji k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carpet anemones are very cool if you don't mind the fact that they may eat any of your fish at a moment's notice. Very cool animals and I wouldn't belittle them, but they are not for most tanks, and not every clown will host in every species. They also need more light than BTAs or RFAs.

As for rock flower placement, mine have always liked living in the sand but attached to the rock, so around the base of rockwork in the sand or in the sand directly if it's shallow. They have the potential to eat fish too, but it's rare it happens even with small ones, in my experience they like less light and flow than BTAs, and will stick to shaded areas of moderate to heavily lit tanks.
Yeah I will only have clown fish in my tank but my light isn’t the strongest light so I feel like bta would be the best choice because I will only have clown fish in the tank and the clown fish can host them.

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
from the sounds of this discussion you need to do a lot more research on anemones. Even just online and find what you really want and what you can really support. Most likely don’t have a mature enough tank yet either. Don’t rush an anemone as it will die. You’ve come to the right place before buying one which is great. Yeah rock flowers are 1000% easier but no they wont host clowns.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My clowns don't have any corals that have caught their eye, so they host a patch of hair algae. Before that, it was a powerhead.

Anemones definitely need a mature tank. 8 months to a year is the generally suggested minimum age for a bubble tip, though it can potentially be longer than that if the tank is started from dry rock. Rock flower nems can go in a slightly younger tank if it's doing well (if you have LPS happy and growing, you can probably support rock flower nems), but do still need stability.

If you want to try something hardy that your clowns might like to host, a patch of GSP (green star polyps), isolated on their own rock on the sandbed so they can't spread everywhere, may appeal to them. They especially like long, wavy things that ripple in the water flow. Rock flower and carpet anemones don't really do that, so don't tend to catch their eye too much, though you do occasionally get weird clownfish that will try.

OP
OP
Benji k

Benji k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clowns don't have any corals that have caught their eye, so they host a patch of hair algae. Before that, it was a powerhead.

Anemones definitely need a mature tank. 8 months to a year is the generally suggested minimum age for a bubble tip, though it can potentially be longer than that if the tank is started from dry rock. Rock flower nems can go in a slightly younger tank if it's doing well (if you have LPS happy and growing, you can probably support rock flower nems), but do still need stability.

If you want to try something hardy that your clowns might like to host, a patch of GSP (green star polyps), isolated on their own rock on the sandbed so they can't spread everywhere, may appeal to them. They especially like long, wavy things that ripple in the water flow. Rock flower and carpet anemones don't really do that, so don't tend to catch their eye too much, though you do occasionally get weird clownfish that will try.
I have a small frag of gsp on my sand bed will it grow on my sand bed it is very healthy and looking nice I wouldn’t mind them hosting the gsp it’s a pretty cool coral even though it’s really easy to grow.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back