Moving a rock flower anemone

Debbie12

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We need to move our two rock flower anemones into their new tank, one is 6 plus inches across and the other 5. What is the safest way to get them to turn loose of the rocks they are on?

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I haven't tried this or heard of it being tried with RFAs, but pointing too much flow at mushrooms can cause them to let go and move away, and you might be able to encourage RFAs to move with that.

Dangling the rock over a bucket with the anemone hanging down towards some water can work- people tend to try that one pretty often. Also, if you keep an eye on the nem, you might see it start to move. They inflate their foot to move around, which makes them easier to pry up.

Prying an anemone has to be done very gently. Any amount of damage to the foot can be serious, and bad damage can kill them. However, if you can get something wiggled under one edge and ease the edge up, the rest of it generally follows pretty easily.

OP
OP
Debbie12

Debbie12

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m very nervous about damaging their feet. I think I’ll try the bucket trick first. Thank you

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back