Can a single polyp from a hammer coral become a new colony??

kyle38

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So about a week ago my clownfish bit me cleaning the glass it was a surprise attack and I jerked my hand back a bit accidentally grazing my hammer coral colony knocking off 2 small polyps, I scooped em up put em in an acclimation box my question is will these tiny ends ever become anything or is it just wishful thinking? Anyone ever done this? Took the best pictures I could

IMG_5162.jpeg IMG_5160.jpeg

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My branching hammer does that and ya if you can keep the baby in one place it will grow out. Hard part in my tank is there’s a lot of flow so these usually end up in the overflow

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So about a week ago my clownfish bit me cleaning the glass it was a surprise attack and I jerked my hand back a bit accidentally grazing my hammer coral colony knocking off 2 small polyps, I scooped em up put em in an acclimation box my question is will these tiny ends ever become anything or is it just wishful thinking? Anyone ever done this? Took the best pictures I could

IMG_5162.jpeg IMG_5160.jpeg
Hello
I would not rely on it but if it does then great, it will more than likely just wither away

OP
OP
kyle38

kyle38

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keeping em safe will definitely be a challenge and they are just the ends, it might just be in my head but it really seems like they get bigger when the lights come on. Took some effort fishing them outta there plus im just plain curious now so I’ll let em hang out in the box and see what happens. Thanks for the input!!

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keeping em safe will definitely be a challenge and they are just the ends, it might just be in my head but it really seems like they get bigger when the lights come on. Took some effort fishing them outta there plus im just plain curious now so I’ll let em hang out in the box and see what happens. Thanks for the input!!
Again, those are not polyps and have no way to survive.

Mr. Roboto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Branching corals pretty much reproduce by being broken not pieces floating away. There are some that will drop pieces of itself on purpose and others that require a little help but to get a new colony you have to break off an existing part.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 8.5%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 35 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 133 66.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 10 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.0%
Back