Montipora landed in hammer coral

AstroCoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently bought a montipora, it was doing well with good polyp extension up until this morning - I found one of my cerith snail had loosened the frag and ended up knocking it down off the rock directly into a hammer colony, I have no idea how long it has been in the hammer colony. Part of the montipora frag is now bleached, my question is will this bleached part of the montipora recover and grow new tissue over it or do I need to cut the bleached part of it away? I’ve never had another coral fall into another colony like this before - I also don’t really know how to prevent this from continually happening either, this is the third time I’ve found glued frags knocked off by cerith snails.
IMG_1066.jpeg

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently bought a montipora, it was doing well with good polyp extension up until this morning - I found one of my cerith snail had loosened the frag and ended up knocking it down off the rock directly into a hammer colony, I have no idea how long it has been in the hammer colony. Part of the montipora frag is now bleached, my question is will this bleached part of the montipora recover and grow new tissue over it or do I need to cut the bleached part of it away? I’ve never had another coral fall into another colony like this before - I also don’t really know how to prevent this from continually happening either, this is the third time I’ve found glued frags knocked off by cerith snails.
IMG_1066.jpeg
Should be fine just keep things stable and no more cliff jumps and it will heal on its own...

OP
OP
AstroCoral

AstroCoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be fine just keep things stable and no more cliff jumps and it will heal on its own...
I greatly appreciate the fast response! I put as much glue underneath of it as I could, I’m hoping that will hold it in place for future snail encounters.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 118 58.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.5%
Back