Can an assortment of corals grow and thrive using all blue cheapie LEDs??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
PacificEastAquaculture

PacificEastAquaculture

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20190928_105546~2.jpg
20190928_105610~2.jpg
20190928_105720~2.jpg
20190928_105642~2.jpg

tweeter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice!! Thanks for the video. You have some beautiful corals, and its nice to see them growing out in a tank.

U

User1

View Badges
Nice video. I'm also running a 210 gallon tank which is 90% or so filled with your frags and 2 maxima's. What is the size of the tank? Mine is 54" L x 30" W x 30" H. I use a mix of lighting though with Kessil a360x because I like the form factor and DIY multi channels.

Your yellow fevor stylocoeniella is probably my favorite though if I'm being honest. Slow growing at least for me but maybe that is the placement. But it sure does get a lot of compliments.

OP
OP
PacificEastAquaculture

PacificEastAquaculture

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I mentioned in the video, this tank was revamped about 8 or so months ago. Previously it housed seahorses and I got bored and decided to experiment by completely changing it and adding many of the corals we grow in our greenhouse directly to this LED illuminated tank.

Three Ocean Revive LED fixture are used, set at 60% blue for 8 hours a day with no other colors used. ESV salt is used and 10 gallon weekly water changes are made.

A DIY algae scrubber is used along with a skimmer and carbon. The tank is barebottom and has lots of flow. Inexpensive Jebo pumps plus an MP40 are used in conjunction with a Sea Swirl and eductors.

Kalkwasser is added to RO/DI water and dosed in 5 times daily for 5 mins at a time to make up for evaporation. No other supplements are used.

I have not found any type of coral that has not thrived and grown well in this tank. Every type of coral from Acropora to Zoanthids are in this tank. I personally love leather corals so there are quite a few in the tank. I have had to remove large pieces as the leathers have overgrown some areas. Frags have regularly been trimmed from others corals in the tank, mostly Acropora.

Having been in this hobby since 1965, I have become somewhat skeptical of newer high priced equipment. I'm more of an old school reefkeeper and grew up successfully utilizing undergravel filters prior to use of skimmers or controllers. I don't test water in this tank except occasionally checking salinity. In general, I feel folks make this hobby too complicated and make it become too much of an agonizing chore. Despite having operated a commercial coral farm for the last 20 years, I am still a passionate hobbyist and thrill at observing the corals in this tank grow. It still fascinates me to watch how as different corals grow they work out territories and grow into and around each other. I love just observing rather than obsessing over parameters or how to upgrade or worrying about electronics, etc.

To me the hobby is about the animals, not the equipment. At this point I'm confident I have enough equipment in this tank to keep things alive and growing and I'm not obsessed about having the latest new gizmos. I'm not disparaging anyone that likes or feels they need that stuff. I just want to be sure folks know it's not really necessary to be successful.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I mentioned in the video, this tank was revamped about 8 or so months ago. Previously it housed seahorses and I got bored and decided to experiment by completely changing it and adding many of the corals we grow in our greenhouse directly to this LED illuminated tank.

Three Ocean Revive LED fixture are used, set at 60% blue for 8 hours a day with no other colors used. ESV salt is used and 10 gallon weekly water changes are made.

A DIY algae scrubber is used along with a skimmer and carbon. The tank is barebottom and has lots of flow. Inexpensive Jebo pumps plus an MP40 are used in conjunction with a Sea Swirl and eductors.

Kalkwasser is added to RO/DI water and dosed in 5 times daily for 5 mins at a time to make up for evaporation. No other supplements are used.

I have not found any type of coral that has not thrived and grown well in this tank. Every type of coral from Acropora to Zoanthids are in this tank. I personally love leather corals so there are quite a few in the tank. I have had to remove large pieces as the leathers have overgrown some areas. Frags have regularly been trimmed from others corals in the tank, mostly Acropora.

Having been in this hobby since 1965, I have become somewhat skeptical of newer high priced equipment. I'm more of an old school reefkeeper and grew up successfully utilizing undergravel filters prior to use of skimmers or controllers. I don't test water in this tank except occasionally checking salinity. In general, I feel folks make this hobby too complicated and make it become too much of an agonizing chore. Despite having operated a commercial coral farm for the last 20 years, I am still a passionate hobbyist and thrill at observing the corals in this tank grow. It still fascinates me to watch how as different corals grow they work out territories and grow into and around each other. I love just observing rather than obsessing over parameters or how to upgrade or worrying about electronics, etc.

To me the hobby is about the animals, not the equipment. At this point I'm confident I have enough equipment in this tank to keep things alive and growing and I'm not obsessed about having the latest new gizmos. I'm not disparaging anyone that likes or feels they need that stuff. I just want to be sure folks know it's not really necessary to be successful.
Well said

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Can I get an AMEN!

U

User1

View Badges
Do you have any frags of "large" zoa's or paly's (not sure what the names are called) that are somewhat colorful and not green? Polyp size of a nickle or quarter is what I mean.

Honest question. I have a Coral Beauty who I have had for a long while now but unfortunately it loves zoa's. Eats them like skittles. He gets going and then my scopus and lavender tangs join in and wreck any zoa frags I try and introduce. I've tried various colors but it does the same thing time and time again. Thus my question.

I have some areas that I think something zoa'ish and large would work. I've added some green mushrooms but I do not think I'm a fan of them.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 50 25.1%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 50 25.1%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 47 23.6%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 48 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back