Can anyone help me identify what’s wrong with my fish?

Tanner4403

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello R2R medics !

I have been dealing with a disease over the past 4 days … I lost a couple fish already one being a sailfin tang .. he was looking rough and losing Color and when I went to sleep the one night he had some black ish marks on him and his fins looked very ruined … along with him I lost a domino damsel and a cinnamon clown.. my other fish are looking “ok” right now with my fish left are a fox face, gladiator clown, and a cleaner wrasse …

my parameters are —

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 15-20ppm
Pho 0.07 ish

calcium 430
Alk 7.9

I have attached a picture of what one of my last fish look like my other two don’t really show any signs of disease ,

53C1DCE2-4783-4205-9069-753A7CFB197C.jpeg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
On the fox face - there are abnormal (to me) whitish areas on the area behind the pictorial fins. There are also spots. The picture is not the best - I might suggest - a hospital tank - and copper treatment. Have you QT'd the fish, Without more information its extremely difficult to say

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you look at my signature - you can see some of the questions to answer - to help us help you

OP
OP
Tanner4403

Tanner4403

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the fox face - there are abnormal (to me) whitish areas on the area behind the pictorial fins. There are also spots. The picture is not the best - I might suggest - a hospital tank - and copper treatment. Have you QT'd the fish, Without more information its extremely difficult to say
I haven’t QT the fish , I’m pretty sure it’s something I brought in possibly with the sailfin tang tbh.. just curious if someone could help identify what it is.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hello R2R medics !

I have been dealing with a disease over the past 4 days … I lost a couple fish already one being a sailfin tang .. he was looking rough and losing Color and when I went to sleep the one night he had some black ish marks on him and his fins looked very ruined … along with him I lost a domino damsel and a cinnamon clown.. my other fish are looking “ok” right now with my fish left are a fox face, gladiator clown, and a cleaner wrasse …

my parameters are —

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 15-20ppm
Pho 0.07 ish

calcium 430
Alk 7.9

I have attached a picture of what one of my last fish look like my other two don’t really show any signs of disease ,

This fish has two things hapening. .. the major which is the black spots is turnellarian worms causing what is called Blach ich commonly affecting rabbitfish and represents black sprinkles over the body qhich attaches and feeds off of the fish. Treatments for Flukes will work such as prazipro, freshwater dips and formalin for the stubborn strains of worms. There are also some mucus spots which suggests there is/was marine ich (cryptocaryon) and formalin may address this.
Other treatment option is ruby Rally pro otherwise you will want copperdafe or copperpower (in a seperate treatment tank) at therapuetic level 2.25-2.5 monitored with a reliable copper test kit such as Hanna brand, not Api
Also monitor ammonia level with a reliable test kit during treatment and would not be a bad idea to add an air stone for added oxygen during treatment

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same with the bridge of his face in the pic.

OP
OP
Tanner4403

Tanner4403

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This fish has two things hapening. .. the major which is the black spots is turnellarian worms causing what is called Blach ich commonly affecting rabbitfish and represents black sprinkles over the body qhich attaches and feeds off of the fish. Treatments for Flukes will work such as prazipro, freshwater dips and formalin for the stubborn strains of worms. There are also some mucus spots which suggests there is/was marine ich (cryptocaryon) and formalin may address this.
Other treatment option is ruby Rally pro otherwise you will want copperdafe or copperpower (in a seperate treatment tank) at therapuetic level 2.25-2.5 monitored with a reliable copper test kit such as Hanna brand, not Api
Also monitor ammonia level with a reliable test kit during treatment and would not be a bad idea to add an air stone for added oxygen during treatment
Great thanks , I don’t really have a QT tank so I’ll have to get something going more than likely .. he has improved over last day or two , but likely this disease will live in my water even if the fish aren’t showing symptoms correct ? I also have a bunch of coral in the tank, so I can’t really treat my DT

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello R2R medics !

my parameters are —

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 15-20ppm
Pho 0.07 ish

calcium 430
Alk 7.9

Can you post a short video taken under white light so I can get a respiration count?

The black spots are turbellarians, but they aren't causing the rapid breathing and didn't kill your sailfin tang. That needs to be dealt with down the road, but right now, you need to nail down what the acute issue is. I'm worried there may be some velvet (Amyloodinium) going through the tank - that kills fish very quickly. Your best treatment for that would be a full dose of copper in a treatment tank for 30 days (but you may end up needing to treat all exposed fish).

Jay

OP
OP
Tanner4403

Tanner4403

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a short video taken under white light so I can get a respiration count?

The black spots are turbellarians, but they aren't causing the rapid breathing and didn't kill your sailfin tang. That needs to be dealt with down the road, but right now, you need to nail down what the acute issue is. I'm worried there may be some velvet (Amyloodinium) going through the tank - that kills fish very quickly. Your best treatment for that would be a full dose of copper in a treatment tank for 30 days (but you may end up needing to treat all exposed fish).

Jay
Sure jay sorry about the video it was hard to catch him still lol

Attachments

• IMG_1631.MOV
    63.8 MB

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any good way to fire up a quick QT tank ?
Having cycled media from an established tank and some bottled bacteria helps to quick cycle it. Otherwise, it’s a matter of having all of the equipment needed to set it up (tank, filter, heater). It doesn’t need to be anything fancy, just enough to hold the fish.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Great thanks , I don’t really have a QT tank so I’ll have to get something going more than likely .. he has improved over last day or two , but likely this disease will live in my water even if the fish aren’t showing symptoms correct ? I also have a bunch of coral in the tank, so I can’t really treat my DT
Black ich generally stays on host fish but Can fall off and then transfer to another.
For quarantine tank, a starter kit at walmart is cost effective and has most essentials needed

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure jay sorry about the video it was hard to catch him still lol
Open mouth, shallow breathing but I couldn’t get a good count. Anything over around 150 beats per minute is too fast.
In the end, I think this IS velvet and the fish need to be treated in full dose copper power or coppersafe right away.
Jay

OP
OP
Tanner4403

Tanner4403

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Open mouth, shallow breathing but I couldn’t get a good count. Anything over around 150 beats per minute is too fast.
In the end, I think this IS velvet and the fish need to be treated in full dose copper power or coppersafe right away.
Jay
Thanks Jay, setting up a QT tank first thing tomorrow morning.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 60 days, just to be safe.

Jay

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 24.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 55 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%

Back