Can anyone ID this algae

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This algae has been in my tank for a very long time although it's never to have any problems. It's on this one specific Rock and near a zoa. Also on the back of one of my conch. That is the only place I've seen it and it almost kind of looks like little baby feather dusters. Obviously I don't think they are but it's a weird looking algae or whatever it is. 20230208_155337.jpg 20230208_155312.jpg

Attachments

• 20230208_155424.mp4
    12.8 MB

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dangerous?
ehh dangerous might be to strong a word, undesirable maybe? They can sting and irritate corals, so I would try to get rid of them. I have read that they tend to crop up in new tanks then go away, so if that is the case and they start to dissipate, I wouldn't worry. Otherwise I would search on here/google remedies.

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ehh dangerous might be to strong a word, undesirable maybe? They can sting and irritate corals, so I would try to get rid of them. I have read that they tend to crop up in new tanks then go away, so if that is the case and they start to dissipate, I wouldn't worry. Otherwise I would search on here/google remedies.
thats what my lfs said

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's in 3 spots. Mostly that one rock section and on my conchs back. I'll take him out and give him a bath. My tank is 9 months old

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's in 3 spots. Mostly that one rock section and on my conchs back. I'll take him out and give him a bath. My tank is 9 months old
i tried a razor blade and there was just a half of one that was left i thought it was fine, nope it came back in a week

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very hard to remove. tried razor blade 3 times gave up and gotrid of the crab (keep in mind i was very scared f it cuz my tank just went through velvet)

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if its not spreading now i would just leave it. if spreading try to get rid of it

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hydroids. Pull the rock and manually remove as much as you can. After placing the rock back in the tank, cover what is left with aiptasia X.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
This algae has been in my tank for a very long time although it's never to have any problems. It's on this one specific Rock and near a zoa. Also on the back of one of my conch. That is the only place I've seen it and it almost kind of looks like little baby feather dusters. Obviously I don't think they are but it's a weird looking algae or whatever it is. 20230208_155337.jpg 20230208_155312.jpg
This is a massive colony of colonial hydroids and got this big because they have a good food source. If you are feeding powdered coral food or brine shrimp- They Love you as this is what they favor. You will have to take rock out and place in a container of tank water and scrape them off or snip them at their base assuring you get rid of everything that comes off of them.
Directing water flow towards them may prevent food from reaching them also

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hydroids. Pull the rock and manually remove as much as you can. After placing the rock back in the tank, cover what is left with aiptasia X.

This is a massive colony of colonial hydroids and got this big because they have a good food source. If you are feeding powdered coral food or brine shrimp- They Love you as this is what they favor. You will have to take rock out and place in a container of tank water and scrape them off or snip them at their base assuring you get rid of everything that comes off of them.
Directing water flow towards them may prevent food from reaching them also
I just took my conch out and scrubbed him down. I don't feed anything powdered just phytoplankton every other day so I'm sure they're loving that. I'm going to try to remove the Rock. What is the best method to remove them? I used a little brush on The Conch

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I just took my conch out and scrubbed him down. I don't feed anything powdered just phytoplankton every other day so I'm sure they're loving that. I'm going to try to remove the Rock. What is the best method to remove them? I used a little brush on The Conch
Scrape with a paring knife or similar

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 78 79.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.1%
Back