Can anyone ID this starfish ?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Yates273
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 1, 2018
Messages
1,708
Reaction score
1,187
Location
NJ
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got 2 of these from someone breaking down a tank anyone know what kind they are?

IMG_4518.jpeg IMG_4519.jpeg
 
Goniaster tessellatus:
For tropical tanks, the only one available occasionally in the hobby that I've heard of people having decent success with is Goniaster tesselatus (AydenLincoln here on R2R currently keeps one, but I know at least one person previously kept one for a few years - 5 years, IIRC - they do eat unhealthy corals on occasion though, and I believe that was why the person gave their star away).
I know some people have kept Goniaster tessellatus with long term success by feeding them algae and algae pellets (this starfish has about a thousand common names, but the one person I know currently keeping one refers to it as the West African Biscuit Starfish - this common name may also refer to a different species).
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 23 19.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 37 31.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 7.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 13.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new